MIA

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PaulC
VC10
VC10

MIA

Post by PaulC »

Hello all,

I'm back on the forum after rather too long a gap.
As some of you may remember, I was going through my training to gain my CPL having left the Police a few years ago.

Well- good and bad news- I converted my FAA IR, and then got my CPL back in March. You may also remember something else happened in March- so two days after getting my CPL, lockdown hit and with it all changes of getting a job to use my CPL were washed away... :wall:

Now as you can imagine, this has been a bit of a test of character as having spent all my severance pay from the Police, plus some extra I have a CPL which is neither use nor ornament at the moment. I dropped very lucky though and my neighbouring Police Force happened to advertise for qualified Traffic Officers to transfer/rejoin- so I managed to get back in at the end of the year. After a few refresher courses I'm back at it- loving it and have money coming in again.

I lost a bit of love of flying due to this which has now come back and I dropped off forums etc- which in hindsight was the wrong thing to do, so...

I hope you're all keeping well and I'm looking forward to catching up.

Paul

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Re: MIA

Post by adysmith »

Don't lose heart, aviation will recover (although it may take some time).

If you are able to keep the MEP/IR current then keep applying for flying jobs. Woodgate Aviation is a good starter, short freight hops in a PA31, couple of my friends went that route and subsequently got on to jets.

Keep away from ryanair!!
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Paul, glad to see you back and great to hear you’ve got work sorted. I wouldn’t worry too much about the forums, as you know I’m off and on as different things happen it can flatten your enthusiasm. I did my flying lessons with Woodgate at Aldergrove many years ago in a PA28, but that was very much for fun. From looking at FR24 there seems to be no end of people flying KingAirs these days, and other small twins so if you can keep it current you might find something crops up, but appreciate it’s a huge expense.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

'ello 'ello 'ello. Somebody had to say it!

Following your dream is good Paul. Don't lose sight of it. Back in work as a PC is a very worthwhile job of course, and it keeps the wolf from the door.

I know a young man who is a 1st officer with Easyjet. One year in the job, and in comes the restrictions. He wanted to give up, but his grandfather, my golf buddy, persuaded him to hang on. He gets a few fights now and then, but things are looking brighter now, and we've booked to fly to Kefalonia with them in September. Fingers crossed!

Den.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Paul and welcome back. :hello:
All the same, as Ben said, don't lose any sleep over the Forum.
Nobody ever gets struck off charge here.
We still send birthday greetings to Members who've been AWOL for over ten years. :agree:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Welcome back, Paul. I remember you going for your CPL, and sorry to hear your flying career is on temporary hold. Good that you've managed to rejoin the police though - must be a relief.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

PaulC wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 08:17
I'm back at it- loving it and have money coming in again.
Paul
Best job in the world mate, wish I could turn the clock back and do my 30 years all over again. :thumbsup:
Alex

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, good to see you back again :hello: this Covid 19 could not have come at such a bad time for you after having worked so hard to gain your CPL.

I know only too well of what it is like to have the world turned upside down as it has also happened to me though in a different vein. The good news is that you are back with the police doing what you enjoy most and having a regular income coming in.

Hopefully at some point in the future, you will be able to use your CPL to your advantage with an airline but in the meantime, if you do still fly for pleasure keep us up-to-date with any interesting flights you do in light aircraft there will always be an interested audience here!! :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.