New 'Job'

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: New 'Job'

Post by Filonian »

Tomliner wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 22:53
That’s brilliant, well done. I bet that knowing there’s a 737 simulator almost on his doorstep has made Ben’s day! :agree: EricT
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulatyions on the new job sir

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

TSR2 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 19:58
Brilliant news mate!!!

I recall someone telling me there was a 737 simulator in Newcastle a while back, but if no idea there was a A320 too!

Are you up near the airport?
No we're based down at Newburn, just south of the river.

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Nigel H-J wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 11:51
Excellent choice of career, great to hear that you now have a real simulator to enjoy. :thumbsup:

Is it full motion or static?

Regards
Nigel.
Just static, but really gives the impression of movement, very strange!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks for that, I guess when flying manually especially in cloud your senses will always overrule your brain if not careful!!! :lol:

Back in the seventies I took a Vulcan captain and co-pilot to Finningley where there was the Vulcan simulator and I asked if I could come inside for the flight. I sat beside the instructor who put them through their paces and like yours' it was not a motion simulator but it would vibrate when rolling on the ground but only where the pilots were!! Did not get the chance to fly it though! :((

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Nigel H-J wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 13:26
Thanks for that, I guess when flying manually especially in cloud your senses will always overrule your brain if not careful!!! :lol:

Back in the seventies I took a Vulcan captain and co-pilot to Finningley where there was the Vulcan simulator and I asked if I could come inside for the flight. I sat beside the instructor who put them through their paces and like yours' it was not a motion simulator but it would vibrate when rolling on the ground but only where the pilots were!! Did not get the chance to fly it though! :((

Regards
Nigel.
Shame you didn't get to fly it Nigel! Out of interest, was the view out of the cockpit simulated or was it all on instruments? I remember having a go on a BAC One-Eleven sim at an airshow at Fairford in the the early 90s and although it seemed very authentic there was nothing displayed outside the cockpit windows.
I've found that after a long day with several intense simulator sessions, when I get home it feels like I've been at sea all day and I actually find myself swaying slightly when I stand still!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Shame you didn't get to fly it Nigel! Out of interest, was the view out of the cockpit simulated or was it all on instruments? I remember having a go on a BAC One-Eleven sim at an airshow at Fairford in the the early 90s and although it seemed very authentic there was nothing displayed outside the cockpit windows.
I've found that after a long day with several intense simulator sessions, when I get home it feels like I've been at sea all day and I actually find myself swaying slightly when I stand still!
I guess that after a few months that saying feeling will disappear once you get used to it!! :lol:

No simulated view, although the windscreens were in place it was just a white background. This simulator was for instrument checks, and the usual emergency procedures. The instructor told me that he was going to simulate an engine fire, he then stood up and with his hand hit the side of the simulator just behind the captain hard, made quite a noise but the pilots' were really on the ball and carried out the fire drills though the instructor did say afterwards I think they must have heard me say it and were prepared!! :lol: Just to the side and behind the co-pilot there was a map of England as well as the North Sea and an arm with a pointer would move along this map which depicted the aircrafts position. I thought back the 50 years all this took place and am sure that the simulator was operated by valves as it took some time to set up for use.

RAF Waddington had or still has a Vulcan simulator with display, have been trying to find out what has actually happened to it without much success unfortunately.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Wow! Good stuff, very jealous!