Preview X-Plane 12

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Preview X-Plane 12

Post by Nigel H-J »

Video is 53 minutes long but a large proportion of that is the question and answers.

On the subject of weather there is a bit of silliness which nearly made me switch off but once past that there are quite a few new additions, one is seasons. Trees that blow in the wind as well as seasonal variations on them. autogen looks very good. Also shown are system configurations of aircraft.

Make up your own minds but I for one will be buying once it is released and along with a big change in the weather will make flying much more enjoyable. I suspect that it will come out early in the new year but any earlier then I would be very happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v957CKZwAn8

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Re: Preview X-Plane 12

Post by alemaobaiano »

Thanks Nigel, I'll give that a watch later.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Can't go any further with X-Plane, DCS or MSFS until I emerge from the dark ages of Windows 7 :lol: Thanks for posting, Nigel - any news of flight sim development is good news, despite that psychedelic nonsense starting at 6:33. 8)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Can't go any further with X-Plane, DCS or MSFS until I emerge from the dark ages of Windows 7 :lol: Thanks for posting, Nigel - any news of flight sim development is good news, despite that psychedelic nonsense starting at 6:33. 8)
Hi Paul, have you ever considered upgrading recently as you might be able to at no cost.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/2106 ... 10-free-os

That psychedelic nonsense really sent me climbing the wall, I think that Austin Meyer is a bit of an eccentric and his character can become a bit over the top however, not to be fooled by his playtime appearance in the video he appears to be a pragmatic business man and from watching that video I really like what I have seen.

I was thinking about MS2020 a few months ago but after reading of some of the hiccups after updating and the amount of GB to download every few months or so just really put me off but apart from that, I have spent so much on X-Plane 11 that I am not going to throw it all away and again, from the video, the scenery is very good although probably not matching that of the real world as does MS2020 that does not matter as I have never been overseas to the states so would not know whether it is real or whatever!!

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel H-J wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 13:15

Hi Paul, have you ever considered upgrading recently as you might be able to at no cost.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/2106 ... 10-free-os
Hi Nigel - yes, I knew about that site, and it's something I have considered. The problem is that my current PC is hanging on by its fingernails - the monitor keeps switching on and off during boot-up, the mouse sometimes locks up for a few seconds, I get CPU Fan error messages ( sometimes) - all sorts of things. Generally it's okay, but I get the feeling its only just managing to plod along. I don't want to disturb it with a new OS, if you know what I mean. I do have an old W10 laptop, but it's more of an emergency back-up than anything else. It's certainly not able to run anything like a flight sim.

I've been putting off buying a new computer for years, but the crunch is rapidly approaching I think. ;)

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Nigel - changing the topic entirely, I hope you have not been affected by this afternoon's tornado in Grimsby

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Nigel - changing the topic entirely, I hope you have not been affected by this afternoon's tornado in Grimsby
Thanks for asking, I'm OK as fortunately we live about 37 miles from Grimsby (that is road mileage). Though went up to Grimsby 2 weeks ago and have to go back in 2 weeks time as Babs will be having cataract surgery there. Will have to keep a good look out then!!

I have had a look on BBC News and I really feel for those affected by it. :(( At least there have been no reported injuries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-58706938

Again, many thanks for asking. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel, good luck to Mrs. H-J and the cataract op. I've just had both of mine done over the last 8 weeks, and the difference is astonishing. Tell her to get a bag of cotton wool balls ( you can find them in the baby care section of Tesco or Sainsbury or such ). She'll need them to bathe around the outside of her eye with cooled boiled water for a couple of weeks.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, :hello: Very many thanks on the advice for Babs, she will certainly do what you have recommended.

She has suffered from cataracts for a number of years but every time she went to the eye clinic at the hospital they said her eyes were not bad enough for surgery. They said this again even after Specsavers had once more written to them about a year ago then Covid came and everything went to a standstill.

She went again this year and Specsavers were really cross that she had once again been told she would have to wait as they were not ready for surgery so this time they referred her to Newmedica who undertake not only private treatment but also NHS care.

It is next week when she goes for the procedure not in 2 weeks as I thought!! :doh:

If any-one else reads this and has cataracts I would highly recommend this company, they work alongside all Optometrists and GPs. I have given a link below, scroll down the page until you come to Our Story a brief history of the company which was founded by a patient and leading surgeon.

Once again Paul, very many thanks.

Never again will I ever make of joke about Specsavers.

https://www.newmedica.co.uk/

Regards
Nigel.