Only a Tit Bit!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Only a Tit Bit!

Post by Nigel H-J »

Went down to the local shop as needed some milk, when I got home I looked at the container and read the quantity written on the carton, guess what..............
It had 1 PINT written on it!! :excited:

God, how I have loathed metric having been brought up on imperial measurement etc. Not as though I was any good at maths but at least I knew how much a quarter or a hundred weight weighed and how many pints in a gallon and not litres. As for those who do not understand imperial measurements then.........tough!! :poke: :lol:

Now just waiting for the return of the half a crown and three penny piece would do it nicely!!

Only joking but it is really nice to see for us oldies to see Imperial Measurement back up and running.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Only a Tit Bit!

Post by Paul K »

As long as it goes no further, no problem. My year at school was the first to be taught sciences in purely metric measurements, and thank goodness for it. I can't imagine having to have studied marine engineering in imperial units - they were a bloody nightmare.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Paddy will be happy. He went to the greengrocers and asked for 2 pounds of potatoes, the greengrocer said "they are kilos now" "Ok" said paddy, "give me 2 pounds of kilos"

:doh:

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Just a thought. We've always been able to buy a pint of beer on draught, but not in a bottle.

:dunno:

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Nigel H-J wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 13:16
Went down to the local shop as needed some milk, when I got home I looked at the container and read the quantity written on the carton, guess what..............
It had 1 PINT written on it!! :excited:
I've been buying milk in pints for years. However, the next size up is 2L.

[EDIT] - sorry, that should have read 1L.
Paul K wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:41
As long as it goes no further, no problem. My year at school was the first to be taught sciences in purely metric measurements, and thank goodness for it. I can't imagine having to have studied marine engineering in imperial units - they were a bloody nightmare.
I totally agree! 'A' level Physics and my degree and MSc in Chemistry would have been a nightmare in Imperial. A few years back, I had to go out to San Diego to train Chemists in the processes we had developed in the UK. I learned that all US scientists work in Metric.
511Flyer wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:59
Just a thought. We've always been able to buy a pint of beer on draught, but not in a bottle.

:dunno:
You can buy beer in pint (568ml) cans, but strangely it seems to be European lagers rather than British ales.

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Farnell on 06 Oct 2021, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Angus Prune
Comet
Comet

Post by Angus Prune »

I currently have 2 milk cartons in my fridge, one is 2 litres and the other is 4 pints (2.272 litres)...
"I don't care how many times they go up-diddly-up-up; they're still gits."

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

511Flyer wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:57
Paddy will be happy. He went to the greengrocers and asked for 2 pounds of potatoes, the greengrocer said "they are kilos now" "Ok" said paddy, "give me 2 pounds of kilos"

:doh:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brian

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

We're metric in Australia.
I'm glad it came in 1966; if the Shadows' track was called .9144m, .6096m, .9144m, it would have been less catchy :doh:

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

We always asked for a quarter of potatoes (quarter stone)
George

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Airspeed wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 01:51
We're metric in Australia.
I'm glad it came in 1966; if the Shadows' track was called .9144m, .6096m, .9144m, it would have been less catchy :doh:

I remember it. The publicity campaign featured a little cartoon character called Dollar Bill. He had a song which went:

"In come the dollars, and in come the cents,
Out go the pounds and the shillings and the pence,
Get ready now, or you'll be in a fix,
On the 14th of February 1966."

Funny how these things stick in the mind. Decimalization went smoothly, and everyone got used to it very quickly. But, it led to a problem for me, because later on I had to sit my 11 Plus exam out there, in readiness for when we returned to the UK, and a lot of the maths questions were in 'old money'. My dad was under the Far East air force, so some helpful chap in Singapore sent a load of old exam papers for me to practice on. As my friends played outside, I was stuck indoors trying to work out how many mushrooms I could buy and still have enough change for the bus fare of two shillings and nine pence. 8)

It paid off, and I passed, but I think that's where the dislike of the imperial measurement system was implanted in my brain. That said, I still walk half a mile for a nice pint :lol: