Floating Boats

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Floating Boats

Post by chrispbits »

Here's a question - aside from flightsim what floats your boat? It doesn't have to be gaming or computer related. Among other things, for me it's music, or more properly the means to listen to music well (within my budget that is) so I annoy my wife enormously with my endless quest for headphones that are just right (for the price). I'm lucky enough to still have good hearing across the full human hearing frequency spectrum so fidelity means a lot to me. I've probably gone through about 5 pairs of headphones in as many years and have just ordered another pair, which I hope to stick with for a few years to come (so does my wife).

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Floating Boats

Post by Paul K »

Since retirement, what floats my boat is walking, some computer games, renewed efforts to learn the guitar, watching Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys, and most of all - reading. Currently reading ' A Spy Named Orphan', a biography of Donald Maclean by Roland Philipps, and bloody good it is too. :)

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Where to start?

I've had a love of aviation since I was a very small child. From that, grew an interest in aviation photography.
As a kid, myself and my cousin would build aircraft kit models (Airfix and the like). We would sit in the 'spare room' at my cousins house and I'm sure we got high from the solvents in the glue and paints. I still love the smell to this day. More recently, I started dreaming that I was in a model shop, choosing from a vast array of aircraft models. I realised that this was an unfulfilled desire, so now have a stash of partly completed models. Although, I now use water based acrylic paints which are odourless and much safer for health.
Outside of aviation, my biggest hobby is probably cooking. I love travelling, and tasting local dishes. The ability to re-create them at home is both delicious and therapeutic. My tastes are wide and varied, encompassing Indian, Chinese, Thai, Mexican and a whole host of other nationalities. I also love traditional British food (just don't tell me that I'm having a 'full English breakfast' and then leave off the black pudding - my response wont be pleasant!).
I still have all of my Hornby trains and track (all boxed up). If I had the time, I'd love to get that all set up again. Likewise, as a kid I did a lot of fishing (not that I really knew what I was doing). Something else I would enjoy if time allowed.
Beyond that, I love listening to music (mostly classic rock, blues rock and a smattering of heavy metal. But, I will listen to other genres, just not rap, country or opera).
The last thing is probably reading, which I only find time for when going to bed and usually doze off before I've got very far.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows .
I read a lot. I have a tablet full of e-books, because one more real book would probably collapse the floor 8)
But a nice little sailing dinghy would be really something.
MikeW

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I'm just a sad old man, brought up in an aeronautical family - father a ground & flight engineer & pilot, one uncle RAF navigator, t'other a ground engineer, pilot & one time airline MD, Aunt was a WAAF...... After serving my Brooklands apprenticeship in the footsteps of father & uncle, I became an aircraft design & development engineer & lucky enough to gain a PPL for a few years....... Now my one & only floated boat is creating models for flight sim (FS9, FSX). I fly them only for test & evaluation & once 'cleared for flight' (i.e. published) they usually stay in my hangar! I do enjoy trying to replicate the flight characteristics of a particular aircraft (problem is finding & translating flight reports) & finding ways to animate other parts not normally done, but usually I'm a dunce at .xml programming & I fumble & have to get help. Current commissioned model (WIP) I have flown with part owner who is a pilot instructor & a Flight Sim man, so well knowledged in the shortcomings of FS9/FSX! (Spring loaded joystick for a start.....) There are also DIY projects of course .... wife finding things to keep me away from :cpu:!
Keith

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Airfix, Star Wars Lego (when I can afford it), and acting. I've just finished a successful run of 'Two' by Jim Cartwright at the Tynemouth Priory Theatre :thumbsup:

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

So.. away from the flightsim I've been messing about with boats an awful long time (I knew the late Uffa Fox personally) but still haven't persuaded OC home command to allow me to buy one.
Also motorcycles.. my current ride is a 900 Yamaha,

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

emfrat wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 07:30
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows .
I read a lot. I have a tablet full of e-books, because one more real book would probably collapse the floor 8)
But a nice little sailing dinghy would be really something.
MikeW
Wow, Mike,
You've quoted from one of my favourite books ever! It was read to us at primary school one endless summer, and Ive never forgotten it. I think that we have two or three editions here. There is also the 2021 edition on order, which should arrive before Christmas :excited:

I've lost count of the books I've read before going to sleep. I won "Fifty Books That You Can't Put Down" in an ABC Radio competition, a few years back; I probably read about half of them, and the others were given away. We generally buy another new book each pension fortnight.

What do I do?
Apart from reading, I like to dismantle things and save springs, motors, etc. from them.
Obviously, collecting aircraft bits for the museum is high on the list of pastimes.
Maintaining our gardening equipment keeps me busy, as it's all old stuff.
Making plastic kits was a big thing, but my fingers don't seem to handle the tiny bits any more, or maybe it's my eyes that aren't showing my fingers where to go :dunno:
Then of course the last few months have been gobbled up with 3D printing.
Gardening and cooking get done because they have to, though I do love to see our fruit and veg growing.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Reading ( 3000 books or so ) ; Playing the piano ( shelves and shelves of music which people keep leaving to me ) ; Classic cars of which I have 5, and feel very guilty about neglecting as I grow old and decrepit !

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Motormouse wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 14:12
So.. away from the flightsim I've been messing about with boats an awful long time (I knew the late Uffa Fox personally) but still haven't persuaded OC home command to allow me to buy one.

Ttfn

Pete
This seems to be a bit energetic for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWB-hwan86s
George