Aircraft Graveyard Video

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Aircraft Graveyard Video

Post by Paul K »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLz0uzgTTvE

I know we've all seen this sort of thing before, but the number of airliners in this video is astounding; eight Qantas A380s for example. Very sad to see so many MD-11s - one of my favourite aircraft. I reckon this signifies the end of them :( . It says 'graveyard' but a lot of these aircraft are in temporary storage, of course. Then again, there are certain twin-engined airliners that a certain person will be quite happy to see in a graveyard. ;)

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Aircraft Graveyard Video

Post by blanston12 »

Its not a good sign for those MD-11's that most of them are cargo aircraft, with FedEx and Lufthansa Cargo hear beginning of the video.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I prefer the Tristar in terms of looks, but always had a soft spot for the MD11 as it was always nice to see something a bit different from all of the big twins.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Yep. Not so keen on the Krays either. :hide:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

According to Google Maps there's a prison next to the Aircraft Graveyard. Talk about a 'Great Escape'! :lol:

Brian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

FlyTexas wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 05:35
According to Google Maps there's a prison next to the Aircraft Graveyard. Talk about a 'Great Escape'! :lol:

Brian
They could tunnel out to an A380, start her up, and take all the other inmates with them. :lol:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Paul K wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 11:43
FlyTexas wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 05:35

Brian
They could tunnel out to an A380, start her up, and take all the other inmates with them. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brian

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Thanks for this .
For Victorville to fill up is amazing ; it's massive . Just shows the state of play , even for freighters like the 'Deaf Cruizer and it's big bro' More Deaf 2 .

By all accounts Tristar more advanced and nicer handling than MDD offerings , can only comment on Tristar . Which was great , but at 25+ yrs old ; maintenace intensive . Brilliant wing , far ahead of it's time .

rgds dave f.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

dfarrow wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 20:08
By all accounts Tristar more advanced and nicer handling than MDD offerings , can only comment on Tristar . Which was great , but at 25+ yrs old ; maintenace intensive . Brilliant wing , far ahead of it's time .

rgds dave f.
i was curious about this and was doing some reading to figure out why the DC-10 did so much better in the market than the Tristar, from what I gathered while theTristar was more advanced and nicer handling, the airlines did not really care about that, the RB211 engine, while a great engine, the financial cloud over Rolls-Royce scared some airlines away, The Tristar was also more expensive, costing almost as much as a 747, plus the fact that it was a year later on entering service gave it quite a disadvantage.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Joe , The RB211 fan fiasco which helped bankrupt RR , caused a big delay in obtaining more thrust . thus GE got to 50,00lbs with it's CF6-50 first .
MDD putting centre wheel on the 10 allowed significant increase in weight , thus getting Europe-W. Coast US range on the -30.
Manufacturing was cheaper ..straight through centre engine ; Hyd lines without NRVs,,, Turkish cargo door fail sucked down the floor , severing hyd lines ... no control left .
Lockheed automation , guided by BEA's autoland requirements [ a' la Trident ] far ahead of MDD and Boeing , but costly .
MDD getting USAF KC10 tanker order helped to lower unit cost . Very long lived ,they are only now starting to retire .

V. strong rumours at the time , told us that BA's accounts department understood the Tristar to have 4 engines [ because the 747 did ! ]; thus accounting route costs were for some years totally incorrect . Shot ourselves in the foot again !

There were in early '70s , talk and sketches of a DC-10 Twin ; after Airbus had snookered Lockheed , MDD , and Boeing with A300 . Boeing caught up with B767 , still in production now , but not L. or MDD.

rgds dave f.