The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Hard Disk Space???

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Ok ok ok ok I have enough humiliation and embarrassment steamed and suffered from the fact that screenshots from MS2020 always are more superior and better than my FSX screenshots.

That means it is time for me to buy new powerful laptop that can handle MS2020

Many computer companies offer me great sale price on laptops with 1 TB SSD hard drive with 8 GB ram video and 32 GB ram for 1500 bucks using 11th generation Intel chip and 15 or 16 inch screen BUT I feel 1 TB SSD is not enough for MS2020 that is notorious for massive hard disk space gobbling.

Since many of you are using MS2020, I am curious to know HOW MUCH GB hard disk space has your MS2020 eaten up with and without add ons such as sceneries and aircrafts because it might be possible that 1 TB might be enough.

Thanks for any input

Regards,

Aharon

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Hard Disk Space???

Post by TSR2 »

Shalom Aharon,

I have a dedicated 1TB SSD for MSFS. Of the 931GB usable space, I have 93GB allocated to overprovisioning (a Samsung thing to improve the life of the drive). This leaves 838GB of true usable space. 200GB I have chosen to allocate to the rolling cache. - this is overkill, but it hasn't caused any problems. Similarly, I have a 100 GB manual cache for areas I fly regularly - again, overkill, but it isn't doing any harm.) There is a further 210GB which is the program and all of my addons. I have all of the free content installed such as all of the World Update packs etc. I have 5 UK2000 Airports, and 7 Addon aircraft (in addition to all of those included with the premium deluxe version of the sim.) and I still have 327GB free.

In short, I think you'll be fine with one TB... however, if you also store lots of videos, pictures, music etc on your computer, and the laptop only has one 1TB drive, this may get tight.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Hard Disk Space???

Post by blanston12 »

Shalom Aharon,

Does the new machine your ordering have a spot for another M2 drive? Its always good to put your flight sim stuff on a separate disk. I have a 2TB M2 disk with both my MSFS and P3Dv5 on it along with all my many add-ons. The folder with the official content is 196 GB, but that is separate from the actual program (hidden some where) but includes all the world updates and the new Reno Air race package (I have not used it yet so can't review it).
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.