Abort Procedure???

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Abort Procedure???

Post by Aharon »

To all real life pilots, please take look at this video and I have question: why didnt the pilots immediately retract landing gear after aborted landing or is it required by procedures to leave landing gear deployed after aborted landing and take off??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6H5IPXPhwI

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Re: Abort Procedure???

Post by adysmith »

To be honest, I don't know why they left the landing gear down so long.

Standard procedure for a Go Around is full power, remove the drag flap (that is NOT all of the flaps) and retract the gear as soon as a positive climb rate is established.

In the first of those on the video (a significantly bounced landing) they might be very lucky that the lift dumpers (speedbrakes) didn't extend automatically with "Weight on Wheels" (maybe there is a delay built in the the WoW system)
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Lift dump was probably inhibited by throttles at go around power, every aeroplane I've worked on needs 3 logic gates for lift dump.. 1) throttle position 2) system master armed, 3) weight on wheels for at least 3 seconds...and gear wouldn't have been retracted until go around checklist called it

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Could the reason be that in the first video the aircraft came down hard on the right main gear and as such the captain may have decided not to retract in case of some damage to the gear? Just a thought! *-)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Indeed, I thought the very same, Nigel. On any view that was a very heavy landing and would require extensive checks later before release to service