Going MS2020

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Going MS2020

Post by Nigel H-J »

Yep, you read right, I will be installing MS2020 tomorrow after a lapse of common sense in that I tried to install it today but it went very slowly and got down to 0.05 MB/s. I am on Wifi and read that MS2020 needs an ethernet connection for better downloading so going into Lincoln tomorrow and get me one.

I was going to wait until X-Plane 12 came out but in all honestly I don't want to fly in a country that is represented by Autogen Scenery I would much prefer it to be true to life as in MS2020.

Now, I have watched a new video from Laminar which has now really made me more determined that X-Plane is not for me and never will be. I will let you make up your minds about it but Laminar did say many months ago that the minimum requirements for V12 would be:

CPU: Intel Core i3, i5, i7, or i9 CPU with 4 or more cores, or AMD Ryzen 3, 5, 7 or 9.
Memory: 8 GB RAM.
Video Card: A DirectX 11-capable video card from NVIDIA or AMD with at least 2 GB VRAM.

Now listen on:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R8xgiRN6LQ&t=7s

Getting my list ready for MS2020 for these brilliant add-ons from Q8 Pilot which includes Gatwick and Kuwait Airports Can't wait!! :excited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=altilq9n2Fg

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Going MS2020

Post by Aharon »

Good luck and hope everything goes well for you!!

Regards,

Aharon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Very many thanks for your kind wishes Aharon, after seeing many videos I can't wait to get into it.

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel, you won't regret it. One trip taking in the scenery, and you will be hooked. You may need to play around with the sliders to get good performance, but honestly, the view in MSFS at its worst is still vastly superior to P3D or X-Plane at their best. You get the sensation of travelling in the real world, and that's a big inducement to go exploring.

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

I was going to wait until X-Plane 12 came out but in all honestly I don't want to fly in a country that is represented by Autogen Scenery
I wish you all the best with 2020 and hope it brings you a good experience.

Sadly the whole of the UK isn't represented by photogrammetry and in most areas autogen is exactly what you will see apart from those cities where work has been done. I still see office blocks in rural Devon fields and very heavy vegetation around coasts where there is none.

I appreciate it is very much a case of each to his own and accept that 2020 has brought a whole new experience to the world of flight simulation.

I tend to find the experience very game orientated and altough I have it installed with a limited few purchased add-on aircraft I still find mysef defaulting to XP-11.

Along with ORBX True Earth and many enhanced airports and local buildings I still find XP very satisfying.

That said whilst I'm not bowled over by the UK in general I do occasionally explore other countries and cities such as venice and those which have been fully treated do look good.

Regards, Steve M

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Sadly the whole of the UK isn't represented by photogrammetry and in most areas autogen is exactly what you will see apart from those cities where work has been done. I still see office blocks in rural Devon fields and very heavy vegetation around coasts where there is none.
Hi Steve, did not know about the above until now!! :lol: I still have X-Plane 11 but on another drive though one thing that I find problematic with X-Plane is that even though having Orbx True Earth for England Wales and Scotland installed when flying in VR I have to reduce The Number of World Objects by half and then even though VR is amazing it is let down by actually buildings in cities and villages missing, maybe this happens in MS2020 I don't know but from reading some updated news on V12 there is a certain amount of doubt whether Laminar will have improved performance enough to make X-Plane 12 quicker by allowing all cores of the CPU to work. :dunno:

I started downloading MS2020 about 13.00hrs with an ethernet connection so my download speeds are much better yet still poor as I do not have Fibre Optic Connection but before I bought the ethernet cable I was down to just 0.05 - 3.00 Mbits/s now I am getting up to 11.00Mbits/s though the average so far is around 7-8 Mbits/s so in 5 hours I am at 13% which is nearly 16GB out of 117GB so will have to leave it on overnight and then that I think is one of five installations!!?? *-)

When my contract ends I am going to have to find a provider who supplies Fibre Optic Internet.

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel H-J wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 17:55
Hi Steve, did not know about the above until now!!
Hi Nigel - Steve is right. If you look at the first two pictures I posted in the the Jaunt in MSFS thread...

viewtopic.php?t=33308

... the bulk of what you see is autogen, the main area of photogrammetry being off in the distance in the second picture - Canary Wharf, Millenium Dome, and on into the city of London. So you can see that the combination of this autogen, on top of Bing maps,is a world of difference from X-Plane. I had Orbx's True Earth UK for X-plane and even that came nowhere near what you see in MSFS. :)