Download Speed

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Download Speed

Post by Paul K »

I hate to make you nervous, Nigel, but I tried to run MSFS this evening, and suffered a CTD. I was also getting some very strange flickering on both monitors, so I rebooted the computer. When I tried to run MSFS again, I found that the whole thing had uninstalled itself. The Community folder was still there, but the Official folder was empty. I have no idea why this happened, and it's the first major problem I've had with the sim.

I'm downloading and reinstalling, which should take about another 45 minutes, but with your download speed problems, I wonder if it might be an idea for you to make a back-up copy of the entire MSFS folder. It would take some time to copy, but nowhere near the time to do another download.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I hate to make you nervous, Nigel, but I tried to run MSFS this evening, and suffered a CTD. I was also getting some very strange flickering on both monitors, so I rebooted the computer. When I tried to run MSFS again, I found that the whole thing had uninstalled itself.
:worried:

Oh 'eck Paul, that is bad news. Presently I have got on my SSD Drive Program Files, WindowsApps, WpSystem XboxGames with GamingRoot file relating to RGBX XboxGames. These are probably not where they should be however if there are other folders and files relating to MS2020 elsewhere on my computer that is going to make any back-up slightly more complicated.

I had done some reading on the MS2020 Forum whereby users were having trouble with their download speeds and from reading there were many suffering the same problems as moi!! It has also taken them 4-5 days and longer to download MS2020 so it does in a way, make me feel that I am alone on this!! :lol:

I have another 2.33GB to go before it finishes and then will see what is left as on the top right side it has 1/5.

Keep you informed of how it goes.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Okay Nigel, but it's something I do recommend, even if it requires a small external HD. Have a look at what's what once you're up and running. The good news is that once I reinstalled, everything was normal, with all my controller assignments preserved. I do have to reinstall the world updates, however. They vary in size from 2 to 6 GB, roughly, but are all optional.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Good news chaps, finally the download finished yesterday but spent a lot of time getting the graphics sorted, at one point I was tearing my hair (what is left of it)out trying to get it set up properly but finally did it with the help of Gee-Force Experience, it had set up the best settings so I then started MS2020 through it.

Funnily enough, I have been far too absorbed in setting up the controls than actually flying and admiring the scenery and one stumbling block I have come across is the rudders. They have been assigned and work but this is where I have found a problem. Apply left and right rudder OK but the rudder does not come to the neutral position once left rudder is released which does so in X-plane 11. It just remains there and only comes off when I depress the opposite rudder. So need to look further into that.

I will post some screen shots later, just need to find out the correct keys for doing it!! :lol: :lol:

Paul, will buy another disc in order to use as backup next month.

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Great to hear, Nigel. What palaver downloading, though :-O Can't think what the problem is with the rudder - have you got it assigned to a button instead of an axis, or something like that ?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, :hello: when I went to re-assign the rudders they are now working properly, many on the MS2020 Forum had asked for help due to download speeds being very slow. In some cases it took 5 days so that at least has made me feel a lot better.

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Great to hear, Nigel. I'm sure you'll find MSFS fascinating. I love it! :)

( Just do that backup, okay ? ;) :lol: )

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Nigel, glad to here it came down in the end. There’s no real reason why rain should disrupt your downloads either, so it sounds like something isn’t right.
Do the copper wires for the phone come into your house from a telegraph pole or do they come underground?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Ben :hello: Comes through the telegraph Pole which is directly opposite us. When it rains I lose internet for maybe anything from 3-5 minutes and then again so it is sporadic.

My feeling it is probably the junction box which is some way down the road, I tend to think that it is the rain getting inside and affecting the contacts. Will have to check when my contract runs out and if it is over six months then I will have to get onto my provider.

Regards
Nigel.