Ukraine

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Ukraine

Post by Kevin Farnell »

First time that I've noticed an Orion observing the situation -

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

A woman of conscience and courage; God help Marina Ovsyannikova now that Putin's gestapo has hold of her.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60744605

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

It just goes to show what an abhorrent and repressive dictatorship Russia has become. From what I've seen, Russian people can face 15 years in gaol, just for using the word 'war', or holding up placards (even if they are blank). Yet, there have been demonstrations in many Russian cities against the war on Ukraine. These are brave Russian people. I have no argument or dislike for the Russian people, It's their leader who I have a hatred of. He comes across as extremely insecure (just look at how he distances himself from his own team along a very lengthy table). I'm sorry if the sanctions are causing suffering to the Russian people, but if that's what it takes to bring down Putin. then so be it!

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Here is my thought - I know next to nothing about armor and weaponry really, but are the Russian tanks a bit rubbish? They seem to be taken out (not just disabled but wrecked) by a single hit. Or is it they (tanks generally) are out dated on a modern battlefield? Also seems poor management the way they are lined up on stretches of road like a turkey shoot.
I have no background in military matters I am sure there must be some here with a thought or two on the subject.
Alex

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

This Russian had a bit of luck - but it does show what hand held launchers can achieve - I think it unlikely that this SU25 will ever fly again - scroll down and click on the video

https://www.goklerdeyiz.net/rus-su-25-u ... u-dusmedi/

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

If that had have been a Starstreak hit it wouldn't have survived.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Alex, the sides of a Russian tank are well armoured on the sides and below however they have a very weak spot and that is on the top hence seeing a number where the turrets have been blown off.

The missile is launched but it does not hit the sides instead it blows up just above the tank where armour is at its weakest and whooopeee the tank is reduced to a smouldering wreck!!

Hope that helps in some way.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Thanks for that. I still wonder about the effectiveness of tanks on the battlefield. Seems they cannot compete with modern weaponry.
Alex

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

My grandson was a 'tankie' until a few years ago and is very dismissive of the so called 'up armouring' of our tanks. Living in the turret as a gunner he was only too well aware of the vulnerability of the top armour.

Nowadays quite a few anti-armour missiles can be set to do explode over the turret or engine tops to devastating effect.

Allan

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

As one who always ended up hemmed in on Australia in Risk I make no claim to any military abilities. So I'm expecting an email from Mad Vlad any day now.

I saw a comment about the Javelin that suggested that siad is designed to fly upwards and then hit the tank on a downward trajectory, making the most of the relative upper weakness described by Allan above.

A comment in the same piece also suggested that, like the battleship and aircraft carrier before it, the tank has become outmoded as the main source of battlefield power thanks to weapons like the Javelin and the Turkish drones being used by the Ukranians.

The relatively mild weather this winter in the Ukraine has also apparently hindered the ability of heavy armour to operate off-road in the softer farm land. Sticking to the roads makes them easier targets for the Ukranians.

This site has been referenced quite a few times over the last fortnight by news outlets: https://www.understandingwar.org/

Mind you Tucker Carlson on Fox News is a great favourite with the Russian State, so pick your sources carefully.

t'other Allan