Video of 737-800 China Airlines Crash.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Video of 737-800 China Airlines Crash.

Post by Kevin Farnell »

TSR2 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 16:54
I seem to recall old 737 classics suffering from a rudder issue where the valve controlling the rudder would lock in a position causing full scale deflection, and depending on the phase of flight, send the aircraft into the ground. I think there were several accidents
You are correct, Ben. I've watched several 'aircrash investigation' programmes regarding this and if my memory serves me there were three aircraft losses and I think one that was able to recover. From what I recall, the event known as a 'rudder hardover' caused the aircraft to roll inverted and enter a dive. Initially, Boeing looked at several possible causes, including one of the cabin crew entering the cockpit, placing their foot on the centre pedestal and knocking the rudder trim switch. It was, as you say eventually traced to a sticking valve, which I think may have occurred in icing conditions.
Let's hope it's not a repeat of the above and that this fault was fixed years ago.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

So sad. How awful :'(

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Like Ben I too can remember the rudder hardover problems occurring several years ago. I have no skills in aeronautical engineering but I imagine a recurrence of this on a relatively new aircraft would be unlikely? A tragedy which must have been terrifying for all on board in those last moments. EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Came across this report https://factcheck.afp.com/doc.afp.com.326M6EX

Someone used XP11 to simulate the disaster.

Not unheard of in the past with FSX and similar... in relation to other disasters. Often as not they are probably done innocently as a historical document. I do remember there was someone way back that did similar very polished YT vids using FSX of famed crashes not dissimilar to what the Discovery channel knocks out.

But the day following? I find that distasteful. :cpu:
Alex

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Definitely distasteful, to say the least. :agree:

Brian

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I also find it distasteful, especially just a day or so after the crash, with the facts still unknown. Family and friends of those lost are in the first stages of grieving and many are probably in shock. Some (although not all) may be looking to the internet to try to find out what happened in the hope of getting some sort of closure. To find this video so soon after the event will not help at all.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...