Ukraine

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Ukraine

Post by Airspeed »

Kevin Farnell wrote:
22 May 2022, 08:08
I have seen some reports, that Putin is very ill with cancer. I'm not sure if this is true, but if it is, it could be very dangerous as he may want to take some sort of decisive action by which to be remembered.

Kevin
Apparently that cancer story was about years ago, and has resurfaced.
I do think that he has made up his mind that he will expand his borders at any cost. There will be no reasoning with him.
We saw a documentary some time back. He operates alongside organised crime rather than stamping it out.
He has no conscience, just a thuggish determination to get what he wants regardless of who gets hurt in the process.
The west is paralysed with fear of nuclear war, and that threat has been bothering me since the start, and still does.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

I cannot agree that there is paralysis because of fear of nuclear war. The collaborative ventures of USAF, RAF, Italian, Swedish , Polish and other air forces are to be seen daily patrolling the fringes of Russia , both with reconnaissance aircraft, tankers, and fighters, together with daily unmanned missions of up to 24 hours at 55,000 feet, and the regular flights to Tblisi are an interesting mystery. The supply of weaponry to Ukraine also has been considerable and by all accounts the pace is increasing.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

cstorey wrote:
22 May 2022, 08:52
I cannot agree that there is paralysis because of fear of nuclear war. ......
OK, partial paralysis, Christopher. And of course, these are only IMHO comments that we make here.
The West has been supplying materials and watching, but the rest of the world knew what was planned for weeks, during those fake "exercises".
A quick punch on the nose at the border would have made r stop and think, and perhaps not proceed with the genocide and land grabbing.
Ukraine is now landlocked and whole towns in ruins.
I don't want nuclear war either, but r is getting away with murder and won't give two hoots about any legal action / war crimes charges; they'll refuse to recognise it. Look what they've done already, charging right wing defenders with war crimes themselves. The rules are out of the window.

I also realise that if I was writing this inside r, I would not be free to write again tomorrow.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

If we are ever forced into a war against Russia and they set foot on any country in Nato at least we have the knowledge of how they conduct a war.

Destroy everything in their path, including homes in towns and villages which have no military advantages and if civilians get in their way do I need to say anything?

just read that the Russian Soldier accused of murdering a civilian has been sentenced to life in prison, strangely no word from Russia!! They obviously have no interest in what happens to their soldiers in how they fight this war just as long as they make some progress.

Another surprise is that Biden now vows to defend Taiwan against China!! :hide: Could they also request Nato Membership I wonder!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-61548531

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

We are told that the West is getting arms to the Ukrainian Army. Maybe, but I've just looked at this BBC map, and to me it doesn't look like anyone but r is winning:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60506682

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Considering the supposed 'might' of the Russian military, and the belief that it would all be over in a couple of days, I don't think that Russia are doing very well at all. It's been 100 days (over 3 months) and that is all that Russia has achieved? Not to mention the loss of thousands of troops, hundreds of tanks and aircraft and several warships.
I still say that it is a totally unjust war. It needs to stop now.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...