Flying Iron's Spitfire and P-38 - anyone got um ?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Flying Iron's Spitfire and P-38 - anyone got um ?

Post by Paul K »

I'm thinking of getting a warbird to go with Duxford in MSFS, and these two are the prime candidates:

https://flyingironsimulations.com/produ ... -simulator

or...

https://flyingironsimulations.com/colle ... -simulator

Obviously the Spitfire appeals for all the usual reasons, but the P-38 is such an interesting aircraft too. Both models look absolutely top-notch, so I wonder if anyone hereabouts has either (or both) and can offer some comments ?

:cheers:

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Flying Iron's Spitfire and P-38 - anyone got um ?

Post by Vc Ten »

Doesn't look like anyone has either Paul. Nice looking aircraft though. Everyone should have at least one Spitfire in their hangar. Maybe I should, but just blown 150 quid or so on 3 airliners. :lol:
Dale
Last edited by Vc Ten on 24 May 2022, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I have it Paul, haven’t flown it in ages tbh, but it’s very well done. :cpu:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I've got the Spit, but like Ben, I haven't flown it in a while.
Lovely model, bit of a handful on take off, although there have been a couple of updates since I last flew it, so it may be a bit easier now.
Dave G.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Ah, thanks guys. The urge is still there, and I'm still considering. I understand that the Spitfire is a bit of a handful - it seems to be so in every sim, including the A2A one in P3D. The P-38 looks good, and probably a bit more forgiving on the ground. I see they are also working on a Hellcat, which also interests me. All three are relevant to Duxford too, of course. I shall think some more, but thanks for the responses.

Dale...£150 for three airliners ? I know you got the JF Bae 146, but which others ? PMDG 737 and Fenix A320 ?

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Yes you're right Paul. I needed the 737 as it was one, it not the best aircraft I had in P3d. This one doesn't disappoint but somehow seems lacking :dunno: Not sure if the bar, re graphics etc has been raised so much in Msfs that even though the visuals are great, so is every other model on offer the same. Flight wise it performs exactly on the numbers, and the promised improvements only makes it better.
The Fenix Airbus again fly's exactly to the real aircraft Feels right in the air and has the functions and flight modes which are currently lacking in the FBW Airbus. Not saying that their Neo won't get there in the end but I think it will be a while yet.
Only downside is the Fenix is very CPU intensive, which is strange as it's all running outside the SIM Must be a lot of calculations going on
Dale
Image Image Image

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Good stuff, Dale - £150 well spent! :thumbsup:

I also had the four PMDG 737 variants in P3D but lost interest in the sim itself before I got much use out of them. Same with the JF Vulcan - bought it, loved it, but barely used it in the end. MSFS has completely revitalized my simming enthusiasm though, and I'm looking at the 737-800 or even the -900 if RSR changes his mind and includes a freighter for that version. Passenger-to-freight conversion for the 900 is being studied, so it might be included with the PMDG model. The Fenix A320 is a masterpiece by all accounts, but a bit beyond me at present. I think the FBW A320 will do me for a while yet.

The last few weeks have been incredible in MSFS, what with the PMDG 737, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-80 and the BAe146 all being released. I hope the latter has been a big success for JF, and they are encouraged to redevelop some of their other models, such as the PR9. There are so many more aircraft being developed elsewhere, including the MD-11 and Dash 7 - two of my favourite aircraft. Great days ahead in MSFS, I think. :Dance:

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I hope Just Flight develop their classic range of airliners The Comet, 748 and the 1-11 There is no indication that way from their development postings. You never know though.
Dale
Image Image Image

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

I understand that the Spitfire is a bit of a handful - it seems to be so in every sim, including the A2A one in P3D.

Spitfires/Seafires are a handful,you need plenty of right rudder trim,full right aileron until the controls firm up, fully fine pitch and bootfulls of right rudder using +7 to +8 boost with a Merlin.
Start you take off run on the right side of the runway so that if it does swing to the left,you won't "run out of road".

With a Griffon(prop goes the opposite way),full left rudder trim,left aileron,fully fine pitch,plenty of left rudder,fully fine and
+5 to +7 boost,again start your take off run on the opposite side of the runway(the left this time).

No way do you "firewall" the throttle,add the power in about three stages up to the required take off boost.

I got this method from talking to many modern Spit pilots,watching in cockpit videos and listening to the gradual way the
power is brought on.

Try it for yourselves,it works,even with the fearsome Real Air Spit XIV.
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I did get to grips with the A2A Spitfire and the Real Air one, when I had FSX and P3D - and what you say is just about how I remember it, though there were a lot of bent Spitfires in the process. However, there was still something about the Spit that I just didn't enjoy - even with the two best models produced for those simulators. The Brit in me feels almost obligated to get Flying Iron's Mk.IX especially on this auspicious Jubilee weekend, but...I don't know what it is that's putting me off. If it was a Hurricane, I'd have no such qualms. *-) Right now, the P-38 appeals more. I'll think a bit more, and try to get a grip! :lol: