A Tricky Problem?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

A Tricky Problem?

Post by AllanL »

Now that I have finally joined the permanently (or is that terminally) unemployed, I have started putting a couple of days a week in hanging about a local charity shop.

I joined to sort out their book sales, but managed to spend half this afternoon helping a lass sort out an outfit for a wedding on Friday. Luckily another female customer was able to provide nail varnish advice. (Not an area of previous expertise when building power stations and petrochem plants)

Back to the problem that I encountered when emptying a bag of donations. The following pics show the clip of empty shells with one possible source of concern!

Any ideas whether this really is a live round, and if so how it should be safely and legally disposed of? Before anyone sends round the bomb squad - it is not in this house!

Cheers,
Allan

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: A Tricky Problem?

Post by Dev One »

Allan, To me it looks as if its been fired as there is a rectangular punch impression on its rim. But be better to get expert advice.
Keith :hide:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Hi Allan.

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than the likelihood of that round exploding.
The 22-250 uses a primer cap in the center of the casing. The firing pin struck the primer cap but it was most likely defective. Or possibly, the round didn't have any powder in the casing.
... it happens.

a gun smith can pull the projectile.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Agree with the above. Also, may just be someone stuck a spare bullet into the casing as it appears to be sitting pretty high in the casing. Pictures I've find of 22-250 shows none of the "flat" of the bullet visible above the neck.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Take it to the police station, Allan. You'll probably have to declare how it came into your possession, but they'll dispose of it for you.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Take it to the police station, Allan. You'll probably have to declare how it came into your possession, but they'll dispose of it for you.
But only after they put you through third degree interrogation of what happened to the rest of the shots!! :lol: :lol:

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel H-J wrote:
27 May 2022, 14:21
But only after they put you through third degree interrogation of what happened to the rest of the shots!! :lol: :lol:

Nigel.
Oh blimey, hadn't though of that. :lol: :lol:

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Problem sorted, as could only happen with the other volunteer who was in with me on Wednesday. I had told him, no names no pack drill - we'll just call him Alistair, to put them downstairs out of the way while I figured out what to do.

I walked in this morning and asked the manager if she had been brought up to speed by A yesterday on the topic. Looking non-plussed she said that he had muttered something about bullets. A phone call later he admitted to slinging them in the industrial bin behind the shop in a white plastic bag when I wasn't looking.

On checking, we found that the council had cleared the bin early this morning, white rattling bag and all.

So, if a busload of nuns on the M74 are taken out by a random round from the tip in Polmadie, it wisnae me. Must have been thae shifty folk at Oxfam up the road. :hide:

Perhaps A could help Boris out the next time he has something to cover up........... :party: :party:

cheers,
Allan

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Glad you got sorted out Allan. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Though I'm glad that you're safe....
What a disappointing finale :|
I used to volunteer in an Op Shop.
If such an item had arrived, I would have removed the possible rogue round, and put the rest up for sale.
Being only a .22 (OK, high velocity, but not a huge charge) I would have gripped the projectile in pliers, cautiously twisted it out of the case and Bob's your uncle.
The detonator was already impacted, so the chance of any remaining propellant would have been remote.
OK, I do nutty stuff, but that's what I would have done.
It actually intrigued me that .22 rounds were even in a multi clip like that.