What have I been up to?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

What have I been up to?

Post by TobyV »

Well it was asked in my birthday thread and whilst I am not around here much anymore and my joystick gathers dust and my FS installations gather bad clusters (only kidding, hope not), I thought it rude not to answer the question. Looking back at the pictures you're about to see, anyone would think the last two years had been amazing, but pictures can also give false impressions. The truth of the last two years is more evident from what is lacking from most of the pictures than what is in them.

So 2020 started normal enough. Here are some gulls in Zurich. Note how they are not socially distanced.

Public transport in Switzerland is highly efficient. See how fast this tram moves.

Some happy normal people going for an evening out somewhere. Not a face mask to be seen, yet.

A balmy January evening and I decided to photograph Aarburg at night. I believe part of this is used as what you would call a "YOI" in the UK.

Last normal trip, a day trip across the Dutch border to Maastricht from Germany. This is the Basiliek van Onze-Lieve-Vrouw-Tenhemelopneming.

By this point, the nonsense has started and I decided to get some fresh air and stay well away from everyone by climbing up this hill and photographing this castle. I think going inside was already impossible by this stage.

And so started many months of what you know as "WFH" and what is stupidly called here "home office" (yes, in English). Every evening a lonely walk around the area, perhaps stopping to talk to some of the locals like this one.

I [re]gained an appreciation for the local scenery and for the capabilities of the GCam App on my phone.

By the Summer, things were looking better and I was able to travel to Germany. Standing here and looking this direction on the night of 16th-17th May, 1943, you might have seen a Lancaster coming straight for you. Indeed, that might have been the last thing you saw.

An astrophotography evening on a bridge between Einsideln and Euthal. The Milky Way shots were rather noisy on my old camera, so here's a shot pointing the other direction at the comet "Neowise".

I even managed to get home to my family in the UK and see the foxes in the neighbour's garden. I thought I'd be able to come home for Christmas.

Trying out a new lens on my Olympus camera.

By Autumn, things are getting worse again, borders closing, but one "international" border I could still cross unrestricted was to Liechtenstein, which, to all intents and purposes, is another Swiss canton that happens to be run by a Prince.

For the first time I visited the Klöntalersee in the Autumn rather than the Spring. The water is very clear and very still, giving amazing reflections

After a rather lonely Christmas, we had heavy snow in February of 2021 and driving to the supermarket became trickier.

By April, the weather was improving and the air was still relatively dry, giving excellent views across Zurich to the Alps from Waid.

Similar scene, shortly after sunset.

I drove over the Brünigpass to Iseltwald, seen here.

As a variation on walks around the local area, I often walked around the perimeter of the eerily quiet Zurich Airport. This restaurant contains an IL-14 but gastronomy was totally shut down at this time. Note the coronavirus notices in the doors.

We had wonderful diversity of waterfowl on the local river. Sadly incredibly heavy rains came that lasted for weeks and all were lost, including I believe one of the adult swans.

A wet weekend visit to the town of Aarau and some artistic editing.

Park Seleger Moor, south of Zurich actually looks better just after it has rained

And boasts many frogs

The lake of Obersee is close to Klöntalersee in Canton Glarus

This little zoo is located on a language border (French-German)

A cooler Summer's day in Zurich

On my way to Germany, suffered a damaged wheel/tyre valve on the Autobahn, so made a stop in Heidelberg and stayed for the night. Enjoyed a beer and a meal outside with a former work colleague who lives there.

A great grey owl at the "Falknerei Bergisch Land"

Barn owl

Red Kite

A second attempt to photograph the Milky Way, this time just walking up a nearby hill and accepting the light pollution from Zurich

Jupiter and its moons were visible (640mm equivalent focal length)

And Saturn and its rings, if you squint

End of the Summer and a trip to Bern

Being driven to British Car Meeting in Morges on Lake Geneva in a friend's Morgan (Lake Biel shown here) in early October '21

An MG at the BCM

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need "roads"

Trips to Germany for less than 24hrs didn't require a corona test. This is Freiburg-im-Breisgau and the little streams that run in channels along the streets are called "Bächle" in the local dialect.

Met up with some fellow car enthusiasts in the French-speaking region again. This is "Le Landeron".

Made it back to Germany for a longer stay. This is the Baldeneysee (actually a wide part of the river Ruhr)

Germany's answer to Versailles, Schloss Nordkirchen

...and its surrounding grounds

After all these years, I finally made it up the Rigi, where Switzerland was founded in 1291

...just in time for sunset

An actual social event. The IMechE Switzerland Christmas dinner for 2021 was held in the Hotel Victoria in Glion sur Montreux. I took this photo during breakfast the morning afterwards.

I stayed in the same hotel and woke up to a fantastic view of lake Geneva

In early 2022 I was in Lucerne during the "LILU" festival

Back in the Siky Park zoo, I was hoping for snow, but found this black swan instead

Tigers are like pet cats in so many ways :lol:

Another "finally". Finally caught up with one of these, and not too far from where I live either.

If you've made it this far, you might be pleased to see something almost relevant to this forum! This mint machine is some childhood nostalgia for me and is located in the City of Norwich Aviation Museum which I wanted to visit for several years.

Something for Fraser, if he's still around on here?

I remember these seats.

This for me was the real star. This is possibly the first aircraft I ever flew in.

A final Air UK machine. I remember talking to Garry about Air UK and aircraft that used to fly to the CIs.

Ex CityJet Avro RJ85 EI-RJN

Here's the control panel for the Vulcan's bombing "computer" as used to target the runway at Stanley. Seemed topical.

After Norwich I did a little photography project in the Fens that I haven't posted online. A night in Cambridge and then on to Duxford

You need a fisheye in the American hall!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: What have I been up to?

Post by TobyV »

And if the images are not displaying for you, try viewing this page in Firefox. Seemingly it's a "mixed content issue" to do with this site being "https" (secure) and my site being being only "http" (not secure). I need to ditch talk talk and move to something better *-)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Absolutely superb Toby. It’s funny (peculiar) how the last two and a bit years took so long, and yet have all but disappeared. In the first lockdown we made a real effort to go out for our hour long exercise around the local country park each day, but after the summer I couldn’t motivate myself to do anything let alone go for a walk. (Summer 20). Don’t remember much of 21 at all, it’s all just a blur.

The F27 at Norwich is gorgeous. I’m more of a Herald fan though. I’d no idea they had an RJ now too. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing all of those and a synopsis of the last 2 years. Hope all is good now.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Some fantastic photographs there Toby, thanks for sharing. Was the Tiger lying down waiting to have it's belly rubbed?

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

You really are a very good photographer, Toby. I haven't been up to the aviation museum since moving back to Norwich - looks like I need to. The photos of Switzerland are very interesting too. A great set of pictures.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I'm glad that I asked Toby ;)
Excellent variety of excellently framed shots :thumbsup:
A bit like watching "Great Train Journeys" etc, which is as close as I*'ll get to world travel :lol:
Makes my country life seem very ordinary, though I do enjoy it.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

TSR2 wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 00:18
It’s funny (peculiar) how the last two and a bit years took so long, and yet have all but disappeared.

Hope all is good now.
It is strange. I feel simultaneously like my life was on pause for two years and prefer to think of these years as not having happened, but at the same, clearly time has elapsed and things have moved on and will not get back to how they were, things are still a bit tricky, even in 2022!
Kevin Farnell wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 00:26
Was the Tiger lying down waiting to have it's belly rubbed?
It does look like that. Fascinating to see big cat display small cat traits!

Airspeed wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 07:24
I'm glad that I asked Toby ;)
Excellent variety of excellently framed shots :thumbsup:
A bit like watching "Great Train Journeys" etc, which is as close as I*'ll get to world travel :lol:
Makes my country life seem very ordinary, though I do enjoy it.
It's just the location really, I'm very fornuate in that respect. Also being able to enter other countries relatively easily (under normal circumstances at least!)

Glad you all liked the pictures and I can thoroughly recommend City of Norwich Aviation Museum, very friendly and welcoming bunch of volunteers and a nice collection of aircraft. Being the current KLM and former UK maintenance base, quite a unique collection of airliners, several of which I remember fondly from childhood trips to the Channel Islands, which was my main motivation for visiting.