Return of the Mac.

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: The Ministry, Guru's

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Return of the Mac.

Post by TSR2 »

When did Rambang operations cease Paul? I’m surprised it didn’t become a proper airport.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I've no idea, Ben. From what I've read, it was still operating when the Japanese invaded in 1942, and was used by them during the war. Whether the Dutch used it while trying to re-establish control after the war, I don't know.

I've found this - an online copy of Jean Batten's memoir 'My Life' and from a quick skim through, she landed there twice:

https://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholar ... atMyL.html

This is her at Rambang on her flight from Australia to the UK in 1937. The aircraft was a Percival Gull.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

What an adventure! I hope the stutters can be fixed, Paul.

Brian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Hi Brian - from reading through the various forums, it seems to be a problem afflicting many people since sim update 9. Asobo has accepted that there is an issue, and are investigating. I think I've got it under control by returning everything in Nvidia control panel to default states, shutting as many background processes down as I can find, raising MSFS's priority a notch, and running it from a cold restart of the PC. I shall find out whether this is sufficient on the next long flight. Further along, sim update 10 will hopefully bring us a fix.

I still absolutely love this sim, of course! :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Leg 18; Rambang to Koepang.

Taking off from Lombok. I seem to have veered off the centre-line somewhat :-O Can't remember doing that!

Heading east south-east across Lombok island, leaving the airport and the adjacent lake of Bendungan Batujai behind. I did consider a farewell pass over Rambang, but it was a bit too far off my intended track. I landed there yesterday, so I think I've done it justice for this trip:

Heading 102 over the narrow straits, I soon reached the coast of Pulau Sumbawa which, with Lombok, forms the Indonesian province of West Nusa Tenggara:

After Pulau Sumbawa, still on a heading of 102, the island of Sumba came into view. By this time, the sim was starting to stutter again. I did think about abandoning this flight, but I'd come too far:

Across the Suva Sea, a passage of 200 nm over water. Being relatively featureless, the stuttering wasn't so noticeable: Off on the horizon is the distant island of Flores, the Portuguese word for 'Flowers', and where the Komodo dragon can be found:

My destination - West Timor and, in the large bay ahead, its capital Koepang ( present day Kupang ). While Lombok is part of West Nusa Tenggara province, West Timor is part of East Nusa Tenggara. Good job I have a compass on this aircraft ;)

By now the stuttering was pretty bad, plus I had the usual turbulence to contend with. Fortunately, Kupang's El Tari airport has an ILS on RW 25, so I let the autopilot hold the localizer, leaving me free to concentrate on height and speed. 'George' held on by his fingernails at times, but we got in, and quite smoothly in the end:

Parked at Koepang, the springboard for Australia! :Dance:

:)