CBFS SPOTTER

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: The Ministry, Guru's

GHD
Concorde
Concorde

Re: CBFS SPOTTER

Post by GHD »

Paul K wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 10:17
I would never have got the GAL. Besides which, GALS are called Sheilas down there.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
George

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

You bunch of jokers :lol:
I forgot to mention, seeing as this is quickfire, I'm not doing daily responses to the entries, the results will be your reply.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

23-06-22 quickfire results.
The Fokker F-27 Friendship gave the folks at Fairchild a notion to build a longer version, which they called the FH-227.
It had 12 passenger windows each side, whereas the F-27 had only 10. None of the F-27 series changed the window numbers, except one I saw as a freighter without any.
About half the replies fell into the Friendship "trap" whilst the others went correctly and directly to the Fairchild.
Kevin Farnell, PaulK, Keith (Dev One), JohnD, Pete (Motormouse), and Joe (blanston12) scored awards, and though I appreciated the other responders, I'll leave them anonymous.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Errrr.... I hate to tell you, but the number of windows is not definitive. Some Fairchild 227s have 11 windows, some 12 , and most confusingly, some have 12 on the left side and 11 on the right. The F27-500 also has variable number of windows, some 11 and some 12 . I did actually wonder whether your silhouette, being where you are, was in fact that of the Australian only F27-500 designated as the F27-500F

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

cstorey wrote:
25 Jun 2022, 08:55
Errrr.... I hate to tell you, but the number of windows is not definitive. Some Fairchild 227s have 11 windows, some 12 , and most confusingly, some have 12 on the left side and 11 on the right. The F27-500 also has variable number of windows, some 11 and some 12 . I did actually wonder whether your silhouette, being where you are, was in fact that of the Australian only F27-500 designated as the F27-500F
Hi Christopher,
My book was published by Frederick Warne & Co Inc London and New York.
I did count windows on dozens of photos before I stuck my neck out, and now I'm embarrassed to say that I've found a couple of -500s with 11 windows.
Haven't found any with 12 though.
As usual, if you can find me a verifiable F-27-500 photo with 12 windows on the left, I'll happily give badges to all the F-27 replies.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

25-06-22 Inspired by the Two Ronnies sketch on You-Tube about the Identical Clocks :lol: :lol: I present a pair of non-identical twins for consideration.
This will be under the quickfire rules, ONE try and ONE ONLY, so please be specific in your answers; no individual responses from me, results to be posted in 48 hours. So, A=? B=?
25-06-22A.jpg
25-06-22A.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 93 times
25-06-22B.jpg
25-06-22B.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 93 times

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Not an avalanche of responses, but we do have some badge earners :)
Kevin Farnell, Simon (simondix), WOT!? IS THAT ALL!?

OK, Eric (Tomliner) and Mick (woody901) get a cloth badge for getting 1 of 2, after labelling the Martin as a Convair 240.
A is a Hawker Siddeley 748,
B is a Martin 4-0-4, or 2-0-2
(The 4-0-4 was just under a metre longer, and a little heavier, but matched the 2-0-2 in span, height and wing area, as most of the mods were to strengthen the wing spars and IIRC, provide pressurisation.)
Kevin gets a bonus star for pointing out that some 2-0-2s had an extra air inlet, not present in the outline, so a 4-0-4. Kevin also added that the 748 Started as Avro and was also HS and BAe. Well done Kevin!

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Airspeed wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 08:36
Kevin gets a bonus star for pointing out that some 2-0-2s had an extra air inlet, not present in the outline, so a 4-0-4
To be honest, I was referring to the small fitting (which I assumed to be an air inlet), on the lower front fuselage between the propeller spinner and the front door. I found many pictures of 4-0-4's Featuring this but no 2-0-2's. Hope this doesn't lose me my star.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Kevin, I've seen that one on a couple of images, and another centralised atop the cockpit, but only on the 2-0-2.
Your star is safe ;)

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Airspeed wrote:
25 Jun 2022, 09:43

Hi Christopher,
My book was published by Frederick Warne & Co Inc London and New York.
I did count windows on dozens of photos before I stuck my neck out, and now I'm embarrassed to say that I've found a couple of -500s with 11 windows.
Haven't found any with 12 though.
As usual, if you can find me a verifiable F-27-500 photo with 12 windows on the left, I'll happily give badges to all the F-27 replies.
Beginning to wonder whether I am wrong about this as I have not been able to find a 12 window photo