Solstice Sadness

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Solstice Sadness

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I'm guessing 'guests' means 'guest' brews i.e. short run beers for punters to try which may or may not become a regular feature depending on how well they sell. It's a means of getting local brews out to a wider audience and hence more sales for the brewery.

The % sign indicates the percentage of alcohol by volume for the brew in question (i.e. how strong the beer is relative to other beers).

HTH.

:cheers:
Larry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Ah, I see the picture now - its on a different website from the one I was thinking of. Yes, you're right Larry - guest beers that are available for a short period of time, and then new ones are offered. This is on top of the regular beers they stock. Mind you, Southwold and Ghost Ship have been there a long time - more resident beers than guests. :lol:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I hope Eric finds some solace in these replies...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 13:16
I'm guessing 'guests' means 'guest' brews i.e. short run beers for punters to try which may or may not become a regular feature depending on how well they sell. It's a means of getting local brews out to a wider audience and hence more sales for the brewery.

The % sign indicates the percentage of alcohol by volume for the brew in question (i.e. how strong the beer is relative to other beers).

HTH.

:cheers:
Thanks Larry, and Paul, for your further explanations ;)

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

If it's a free house, meaning not tied to a particular brewery, you can have as many different ales as you wish.

A pub that's owned by a brewery and run by a landlord or tenant, can have guest beers as agreed by the brewery in addition to their own brands.

Many years ago, my wife and I owned The Bush Inn in Herefordshire. It was a free house, and I usually purchased from Whitbreads. A local small
independent brewery was Wye Valley, they did a range called Pyon Ales which was very popular with our customers.

Thankfully, in times when so many pubs are in trouble, both are still trading.

:cheers: :guinn:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

airboatr wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 00:00
I hope Eric finds some solace in these replies...
He probably sat in front of the telly and watched The Longest Day.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Tomliner wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 21:51
I may be a bit odd but does anyone else feel a touch of sadness at the passing of the summer solstice? I know the change is imperceptible for a while but the older I get the more I enjoy the long days and short nights.EricT
Eric and Rob,
Firstly, I know that neither of you were complaining, just commenting on the passage of time.
My own thoughts...
Trees become magnificent when they mature, and good wines, cheeses and whisky improve with age. May I add that I see both of you in that respected category.
I have regrets from my past, but use them to give me hope that I will avoid regrettable things in my remaining time.
Like you, I see the chequered flag ahead and know that I'm past the 3/4 mark; I don't regret that knowledge though.
I try to keep in touch with Nature, enjoy whatever I can, like feeding the family of visiting birds daily, soaking up the colours of the dawn sky and sunset, marvelling at the sparkle of raindrops on twigs.
I'm grateful that medicine and surgery have extended my time, and that I'm not homeless or destitute. These conditions made it relatively easy for me to enjoy those simple things in life, so whilst I don't have a fat wallet, I have alternative richness.
The song goes something like "it's a long, long time from May to September...."
At least it's not December just yet, I couldn't stand going back to January again.
Roll on the next birthday :)

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

The days dwindle down, to a precious few ....

Make the most of them chaps.

:)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I got the letter from the government today, inviting me to apply for the state pension (due in 4 months time). I don't know whether to be happy or sad! :lol:

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

The Unthank Arms got me thinking about Unthank Rd. Where on earth did the name come from. Granted it's seen better days but there's worse places to live. My daughter lives just off Unthank Rd Paul and my wife and I are regular visitors to Norwich (miles better than Ipswich :hide:).

We haven't been to the Unthank Arms yet but it looks worth a visit.