Solstice Sadness

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Solstice Sadness

Post by Paul K »

Chris, it used to be Unthank's road - running across land owned by the Unthank family, many years ago. It's a lovely area - the estate agents call it the Golden Triangle ( basically an area bounded by Newmarket Rd and Earlham Rd, apex at the city centre). It means they can add 15% to the asking price! :lol:

Try the Unthank Arms - they do very good meals there. :agree:

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

When I were a 'Boi , our dentist was around there . Didn't know about estate agents , but us out of towners [ Caistor St Edmunds ] referred to the area as the ' Gin 'n Scampi ' belt of ' Norridge ' .
Being 5 miles South of the city [ in the county ] we couldn't go to city big schools ,so went 16 mile up [ down ] the 'rudd' to Bungay [ Suffolk ] , hence weaned on Adnams . Thankfully bypassing Watneys or Tolly Cobbold [ Bullards , Lacons , Stewart ? and Patterson had gone ].
Sister still lives around that neck of the woods , but think she works for an estate agent .

Paul , be happy .... If Barley futures keep going up , and don't think hops come from Kent ,,,,, Then we'll all need more beer money .

rgds dave f.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

I think all this East Anglia talk requires some appropriate musical accompaniment. How about this one :) EricT

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hn5m4m5VdP8
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Tom , Hev yew gotta loight Bor ? Rumour had it back then that Alan was from Suffolk ...
No one at school owned up to being Molly Windley , 'tho they might have smoked like a 'chimbley' .

rgds dave f.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Don't need a light, I do my best work in the dark....

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Before I even clicked on that link, I knew it would be the Singing Postman. It'll be something to do with Alan Partridge next - Norwich's most famous son since Mr. Pastry. :lol:

Adnams or Fuller's London Pride - I'll be happy with either. Before it was demolished and 'redeveloped' downwards to being a glorified bus stop, Felixstowe railway station had a lovely pub in it called The Witching Hour, the barmaid of which was the object of my affections. The nicest pint of Adnams bitter you could wish for, at the perfect cellar temperature. :)

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

- Norwich's most famous son since Mr. Pastry. :lol:
Now you’re showing your age Paul,so am I because I think he was played by Richard Ahearn although I didn’t know that he came from Norwich. :) EricT
ps sure it wasn’t beer goggles clouding your perception of the barmaid?

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Yep, Mr Hearne ( not Ahearn ) was born in Norwich.

And no, it wasn't beer goggles, though I wish I could remember her name. :lol:

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Sorry Paul, I was confusing his surname with Caroline Ahearn. Yes I remember Mr Pastry from the childrens’ tv show Whirligig( I think) presented by HL( Humphrey Lestoq) who I believe was ex RAF. :)
Last edited by Tomliner on 07 Jul 2022, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Not to put you on the spot Paul...but...What color was her hair? And what was it about her that attracted you most? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Brian