This is the last time I................

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

This is the last time I................

Post by Nigel H-J »

Put my hand up as a thank you to another driver for letting me through as it now can cost you up to a £1000 fine and 3 penalty points!! The reason? One hand off the wheel amounts to not being in full control of your car!! 8) Well, I am not nit picking here but having watched a lot of documentaries on TV regarding traffic policing I have observed that some have driven one handed in some cases so I only hope that they will now set an example to motorists!! So chaps, either ten to two or quarter to three from now on.

What about me? I am one of those who has held the wheel at quarter to three every single time I drive, it had been hammered into me right from the age of 17 when I first started driving, it is really important to spread an even weight on the steering wheel for better control and feel of the road!! 8)

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/uk-wo ... d-24346906

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: This is the last time I................

Post by simondix »

I suppose we will get fined when we change gear. I am Hendon trained and on TV and in real life I see quite a few Police Officers whose driving and driving positions leave a lot to be desired.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

I have noticed a number of such tales from (choose your town) live.co etc. websites. Mostly on msn newsfeeds. My wife keeps quoting them from her yahoo feed too.

I suspect they are mostly click bait.

I have seen advice that 9 to 3 is now safer than 10 to 2, particularly for small steering wheels, due to the injury risks from airbags.

Windbags in the passenger seat are your own fault for marrying her/him/it/they/take your pick from 20 more. :worried: :hide:

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

They are, indeed, just clickbait.

Sensationalist headline to get you to read the article, which 80% adverts, 10% utter crap and maybe 10% relevant.

You cannot get fined simply for taking one hand off the steering wheel. Simples.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

simondix wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 14:21
I suppose we will get fined when we change gear. I am Hendon trained and on TV and in real life I see quite a few Police Officers whose driving and driving positions leave a lot to be desired.
Same here, Hendon trained to Class 1. Best course EVER! My course had another group visiting from Taiwan and one from Malta, such was the respect the Met had back then. (on a later detective course we had officers from Pakistan, & the Middle East). That's all gone. Then they did away with the distinction of class 1 and class 2 and everything became just 'Advanced'. Then they did away with police trainers and began the civilianization. Lower driving lessons next devolved down to divisions and not Hendon. Its is as always down to money. Elitism be damned! It's maddening. What they have done to the Met in recent years is downright embarrassing.
Alex

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Same here, Hendon trained to Class 1. Best course EVER! My course had another group visiting from Taiwan and one from Malta, such was the respect the Met had back then. (on a later detective course we had officers from Pakistan, & the Middle East). That's all gone.
Really enjoyed your account of Hendon Police Driving Course Alex, I do remember reading somewhere that the push pull method of driving was introduced due to early police vehicles such as the Humber Snipe and earlier cars the steering was very heavy and that the push pull was best suited for that.

Might bring some memories back as I found this video on You Tube: Really enjoyed watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tzXuYsgl3U

Regards
Nigel.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

That took me back. My course was '81 into '82 so slightly before the film. Mostly in the P6 3.5 Rovers though some in the Triumph 2.5 PI. Crossing hands a definite no-no and would be rewarded with rapped knuckles. Power steering was generally not available then so push pull was actually best - still do it today. The skid pan training was invaluable and cadence braking has saved me several times over the years. Arthur Shelley was impossible to keep up with on the pan, round a around we would go trying to follow him and in no time he was behind you. The 'bandit' training was especially exhausting. The instructor in the lead car had an automatic and the student behind in a manual especially as double declutching was the preferred method in those days. Thanks for the link. Nice also to see them in proper uniform too as opposed to the ubiquitous awful yellow jackets which seem the norm now.
Alex

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Alex, pleased you enjoyed the video, I know I did as joining the police was one choice I had when leaving the RAF but as I had a HGV Class 1 Licence there was an opportunity to join BRS Ltd which I did and kept on driving until a dog ran in front of me when riding my motorbike home for Christmas, my HGV was revoked on medical grounds. :((

Back in the 1990's I took the Advanced Driving Test and as you know it is conducted over a variety of roads and dual carriageways, motorway too far away but after an hour and a half with full running commentary I was exhausted funny though when I took 3 HGV Driving Tests for Class 3,2 and 1 they were an hour and a half on the road and 20 minutes maneuvering around bollards with question and answers afterwards but I was not as exhausted after each test as I was with the Advanced Driving Test!!

During your driving course did you use the heel and toe method of braking? I always used that method which I found to be extremely useful when turning off a highway onto a side road minimizing time in completing the maneuver and being in the right gear to accelerate back to road speed but now I have an automatic as using my left leg on the clutch due to my disability became painful.

Regards
Nigel.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

No I think heel and toe would be frowned upon. The mantra then was always to be in the correct gear at the correct speed for every eventuality. The single most important thing the instructors would bang on about - not speed, not positioning but lifting your vision. Most drivers vision is a little beyond the bonnet, but the Advanced wing you were brow beaten into looking as far ahead as possible.
Alex

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

No I think heel and toe would be frowned upon. The mantra then was always to be in the correct gear at the correct speed for every eventuality. The single most important thing the instructors would bang on about - not speed, not positioning but lifting your vision. Most drivers vision is a little beyond the bonnet, but the Advanced wing you were brow beaten into looking as far ahead as possible.
I can imagine the toes and heel would be frowned upon but met a few officers who actually used it but never on refresher courses, even the IAM would fail you if used that method but was just interested on a personal viewpoint.

Many thanks for your reply.

Kind regards
Nigel.