Webb telescope.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Webb telescope.

Post by Vc Ten »

It's life Jim, but not as we know it
Image Image Image

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I seriously doubt man will ever venture beyond the moon. Perhaps a few will take a suicide mission to Mars. But certainly not leave the galaxy. Its a 500 light year trip to leave our galaxy vertically and 25,000 light year trip on the horizontal from our sun which happens to be pretty close to the center.

Even traveling at the speed of light, 186,000 mps for one year will require huge resources of food, oxygen, water, medicine, fuel, etc.
And being in space for extended periods of time is harsh on human beings. Muscles deteriorate, including the heart, which shrinks.
the immune system becomes deregulated... The many types of radiation will wreak havoc on human tissue.

Nope sorry, you're all stuck with me,

XOXOXO

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

nigelb wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 23:52
Brian, I think you are right about other life in the universe. At least I hope you are. Otherwise we are in a very lonely place. I must say those pictures are amazingly breathtaking.

Nigel²
*-) Even if there are "neighbours" in our own galaxy, it'll be a long journey to visit.
Cosy innit?

If we can believe what they said in the recent "Carbon, an unauthorised biography"on TV, we'll have exterminated ourselves long before we arrive at any other place........So cheer up me lads, bless 'em all!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Nigel H-J wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 13:26
I have often wondered about whether a parallel universe to ours exists, I had once watched a program whereby a scientist spoke of the possibility of one existing, not in our universe but in a different galaxy.

He spoke of the possibility that a 'universe' like ours in another galaxy was habituated by beings that were identical to us and were leading a very close life to each individual here on earth even to the point of looks. It was many years ago that I watched that program and found it to be very interesting.

If the above can be discounted then what of the possibility of life existing elsewhere? I firmly do believe there is life but where exactly who knows. There have been innumerable accounts of sightings of UFO's that could never be fully explained, even Area 51 has come under scrutiny in the past that bodies of aliens from crashed crafts have been taken there, if so, why the secrecy? Also why have reported sightings in the past been kept secret?

Are the authorities frightened that by admitting there are aliens around that it would caused panic?

Maybe, judging by this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8ymgwnvdeM

Regards
Nigel.
Hi Nigel,
Good fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
I saw a video that said the "triangular vehicles" on a lot of recordings is to do with the way certain cameras interpret light. They also said that much of what the public is shown is deliberately fuzzed because the military doesn't want "the bad guys" to know the capability of their cameras.
It may have been a link from a post here.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

airboatr wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 08:05
I seriously doubt man will ever venture beyond the moon. Perhaps a few will take a suicide mission to Mars. But certainly not leave the galaxy. Its a 500 light year trip to leave our galaxy vertically and 25,000 light year trip on the horizontal from our sun which happens to be pretty close to the center.
Actually our sun is 28,000 light years away from the centre of our galaxy according to NASA:
https://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/St ... ion18.html Not exactly "pretty close."

I think missions to Mars are feasible and will be done safely and maybe in my lifetime, if not my grand kids lifetimes. After all, many doubted we could ever reach the moon. As far as travel to distances further away - probably not with known technology. That does not preclude us or perhaps a more advanced civilization from communicating with us at some point. letting us know we are not alone. That is if we can last long enough for that to occur.

Nigel²

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

airboatr wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 08:05
Its a 500 light year trip to leave our galaxy vertically and 25,000 light year trip on the horizontal from our sun which happens to be pretty close to the center.
The Sun (and therefore the Solar System) is nowhere near the centre of the Galaxy (The Milk Way), but located far out in one of the spiral arms.

Easily learned from Monty Python's 'Galaxy Song' -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EntOjHJvYtY

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

:hello:
I was just checking to see if people are paying attention.

Ha! :worried:

At any rate. We ain't leaving this galaxy.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

nigelb wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 23:50
As far as travel to distances further away - probably not with known technology. That does not preclude us or perhaps a more advanced civilization from communicating with us at some point. letting us know we are not alone. That is if we can last long enough for that to occur.
Nigel²
The problem with communicating with other civilisations is the absolute vastness of space. To quote Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' -

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

Even our nearest neighbour star, Proxima Centauri, is 4.246 light yeas away. This means that if we sent a message by radio or laser to a civilisation there the earliest reply we could expect would be 8.5 years after we sent the message. This is defined by the speed of light ('c' in Einstein's famous E=mc2 equation). According to the special theory of relativity, c is the upper limit for the speed at which conventional matter, energy or any signal carrying information can travel through space.

Kevin

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

airboatr wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 00:22

At any rate. We ain't leaving this galaxy.
I totally agree. Hope you enjoyed the video.

Kevin

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

:lol: yes - it's catching.