M.2 or SSD?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: M.2 or SSD?

Post by Paul K »

Nigel, look in C:\Users\( your user name)\AppData\Roaming. There's a folder named Microsoft Flight Simulator there that needs to go when you uninstall - though I would have thought the uninstall process itself would deal with it. Check anyway.

Also, C:\Users\( your user name)\AppData\Local\FlightSimulator

There are more guides on the web for uninstalling - it's different for Steam and MS Store versions. Do you have a registry cleaner, like CCleaner ?

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Not sure if I remember correctly but didn't your last installation disappear when the drive got accidentally formatted? This will have left the remnants in the c drive untouched which may be still looking for the original installation on the drive ??
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dale and Paul, firstly Dale many thanks have done a search but nothing in the way of MS2020 located but still a good idea and did a number of searches without success. :thumbsup:

Paul, I must have some cobwebs in the grey matter as although I do have Glary Utilities I have always used the track eraser and never thought about the Registry repair and disc cleanup. :doh:

Have now run it and see if that will make a difference, also thanks for the HU:
Also, C:\Users\( your user name)\AppData\Local\FlightSimulator
Located and deleted, the other tip look in C:\Users\( your user name)\AppData\Roaming. There's a folder named Microsoft Flight Simulator that was not there so now I am going to re-install MS2020!! :worried:

Many thanks again chaps.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ok, so started the installation and the initial install went OK apart from the fact that even though I had selected Drive D I went to Drive G afterwards and found that there were 2 folders now in residence - Program Files and WindowsApps, I tried to delete WindowsApps but it would not allow me to, get the message 'You don't have permission to access this folder' then it says Click continue to permanently get access to this folder but even that does not work :doh: So I have renamed them both to Program Files.old WindowsApps.old.

Now going to install MS2020 and hopefully the 2 files above will not interfere.

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Now at a complete loss, installed OK then set graphics to medium little clouds went for the Cessna Caravan instead of the 172 started flight and crashed to desktop :((

Nothing I have tried has worked, seems as though something is affecting the game but had cleared out everything so no MS2020 was on disc or anywhere before installing.

Regards
Nigel.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Nigel,

Sorry to here about this. I’m away with the kids atm so I’ve no access to my PC for 10 days or so, and my memory is crap.

One thing might be worth a try is safe mode? As this will ignore the community folder AND any marketplace purchases that could potentially cause a problem too.

The other thing that might be worth trying is to install an old version of the nvidia drivers as the current version only came out last week. Choose custom install, deselect everything apart from the driver, and crucially select clean install. You’ll need to restart afterwards too.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

After the CTD, when you try running it again, you should get the option to either run it normally or in safe mode. As Ben says, have you tried that ?

EDIT: Windows up to date ? There was a Windows update which I suspect sorted out my stuttering problem - worth making sure.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chaps, still no change with it and cannot for the life of me find where this problems is stemming from. Paul, I have tried Safe Mode number of times but still it crashes, thought for a moment my settings were too high so reset at medium but still CTD.

Babs came up with an idea and that was maybe Windows might have something to do with it and after thinking about it (I know, some may disagree) :poke: but it is some time since I refreshed Windows. It is said (I have read) that: If you're taking proper care of Windows, you shouldn't need to reinstall it regularly. There's one exception, however: You should reinstall Windows when upgrading to a new version of Windows. Skip the upgrade install and go straight for a clean install, which will work better.

I went for the upgrade so now, as a very last resort, going to do a clean re-install of Windows 11 also going to have to Format my SSD as the Folders that MS2020 deposited there cannot be deleted, they are protected and have tried numerous times to get rid of them even following instructions from the Web without success!! :doh:

One good thing that will come from this drastic move is that being with a new provider, my install times are going to be lightening quick!! :lol:

Oh well, orft I go and see you in a few hours but will install MS2020 tomorrow.

Regards
Nigel.