Prestwick aka Brize Norton on tour

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Prestwick aka Brize Norton on tour

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Chaps,

I don't know if we have anyone who still lives near Prestwick, but I noticed yesterday when driving past a significant number of the Brize Norton fleet appear to have decamped to Ayrshire. There were at least a couple of C17's, I think 2+ A400's and a few Voyagers (although it was hard to tell exactly from the A77).
Admittedly some of the C17's could have been USAF, and I know there were some issues at Brize during the first heat wave, but I wasn't aware they were still operating from Scotland. I don't think there are any exercises on in Scotland atm that could account for the aircraft.

Does anyone know any more?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Prestwick aka Brize Norton on tour

Post by Paul K »

Didn't they have a problem with the runway at Brize, during that excessive heat a few weeks ago ? It might be that they are doing more permanent repairs there.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Paul,

Yes, there was an issue with the Brize runway, but it still seems to be operational from looking at FR24. Unless its a weight thing and the flights operating from Brize atm are all low weigh operations.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Nothing to do with any of that runway malarkey methinks Ben

It's prep for Exercise Cobra Warrior, last year they used Leuchars and St Athan/Cardiff airport for transport ops, looks like this year they using Prestwick and Valley (who posted following on their fb page:
A quick 'heads-up' regarding an RAF Valley training exercise and associated night flying.
As you readily appreciate RAF Valley is first and foremost a training establishment and as such, we tend not to fly at weekends and can usually keep night-flying serials to a minimum. That said, as a military establishment we do occasionally have to play our part in hosting training exercises involving other RAF and Joint Service units, and one such training exercise is commencing next week, where we will be playing host to some other fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft and this will involve some late night and early morning flying serials.
The night flying serials will be focused around the 27-29 August and 8-10 September.
It will be helicopters and propellors you will hear rather than the noisier jets, so we very much hope we don't disturb your rest too much and as always we thank you for your forbearance.
Diolch yn fawr from all of us at Valley!)

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Ah, that takes me back to when I was a nipper, lying in bed at night listening to the V-bombers, Canberras and Varsities in the dark skies above. Not so long ago, the Colonials at RAF Lakenheath had some sort of night exercise on, and their rumbling and roaring over Norwich was glorious! :)