One Lucky Pilot.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

One Lucky Pilot.

Post by Nigel H-J »

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2022/08/dra ... rrows-jet/

Scroll down to the last picture to see more damage to the canopy.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: One Lucky Pilot.

Post by Vc Ten »

Yes Nigel, we wondered what was happening. I was following them back from Rhyl on Flight radar hoping to get a few shots in, as they invariably shoot up the runway and either pass overhead (or not, if they land in the other direction, ) before peeling out of formation to land. One aircraft seemed to be on its own, and the rest of the guys just came straight in, no fanfare. Read about the incident shortly after. Aircraft is grounded in Hawarden. Wonder whether it will be repaired there or shipped out. Big birds them chip fed seagulls.
Dale
Image Image Image

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

There was one a long time ago at Llanbedr which left the MDC (Miniature Detonating Cord)wrapped around the pilots head, so very tricky to make sure its not triggered when opening the canopy. The initiators are on the RH side IIRC alongside the hinges.
I should think its just a canopy change after the bird remains have been removed.
Keith

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Photos of a Red Arrows Hawk jet engine after it suffered a bird strike at Blackpool 11 years ago.

Flt Lt Ben Plank lost all power and all hydraulics. He managed to restart the engine and made an emergency landing.

Note damaged fan blades and blood on other fan blades

I was Tower controller at Blackpool for the incident.
hawk lhs.jpg
hawk lhs.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 424 times
hawk rhs.jpg
hawk rhs.jpg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 424 times
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Actually the exact same bird strike happened to wife's cousin's son, who was on Hawks at the time. Bird had gone through canopy, and partially into his helmet. He was able to keep control and land safely. However had he had elected to bale he would have found out how hard the rest of the canopy was, the bird damaging the canopy release system.
Same guys Wing Commander 617 squadron now. :thumbsup: https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation ... -squadron/
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dale, the link you presented will give me endless hours on interesting reading. :thumbsup: Although having been in the RAF 50 years ago I had not realized how many senior officers there are now. Must be making up positions for all those promotions!! :lol:
Photos of a Red Arrows Hawk jet engine after it suffered a bird strike at Blackpool 11 years ago.

Flt Lt Ben Plank lost all power and all hydraulics. He managed to restart the engine and made an emergency landing.

Note damaged fan blades and blood on other fan blades

I was Tower controller at Blackpool for the incident.
Bet that ruined your coffee break! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Dev One wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 23:10
There was one a long time ago at Llanbedr which left the MDC (Miniature Detonating Cord)wrapped around the pilots head, so very tricky to make sure its not triggered when opening the canopy. The initiators are on the RH side IIRC alongside the hinges.
I should think its just a canopy change after the bird remains have been removed.
Keith
I tend to agree with you there Keith IIRC the mdc initiators could be sensitive to shock, we had to move in front of jet or below the wing when canopy was being closed to avoid sharps should the mdc go off during see offs

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Motormouse wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 13:35
Dev One wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 23:10
Keith
I tend to agree with you there Keith IIRC the mdc initiators could be sensitive to shock, we had to move in front of jet or below the wing when canopy was being closed to avoid sharps should the mdc go off during see offs

Ttfn

Pete
Pete, I think that procedure was after a senior officer put his hat over one of the initiators before the canopy was closed --Bang!!!. Back in those days when I worked at the Institute of Aviation Medicine at Farnborough (happy days!) there was a groupy who attended each prang especially if a bang seat was involved, a lovely chap, medic of course - his safety measure when driving his Austin 1100 estate was to sit as far forward as he could with the steering wheel in his chest & stomach, so I could go & see him some times if he wanted some drawing or diagrams, & view the wreckage of the seat & maybe the canopy.
Keith

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Here are some more photographs this time of the pilots' bone dome. Very lucky escape.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2022/08/pic ... rd-strike/

Regards
Nigel.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Nigel H-J wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 14:03
Here are some more photographs this time of the pilots' bone dome. Very lucky escape.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2022/08/pic ... rd-strike/

Regards
Nigel.
I wonder how a US pilot's helmet would fare - they are (or were) a lot lighter construction but had a foam core moulded to ones head, but were designed to be blown off the head as ones head hits the air blast above the windscreen arch. UK helmets became a bit lighter when carbon fibre
replaced glass fibre in the '80's, but retained the adjustable inner padded construction.
Keith