TSR2 test pilots query.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

TSR2 test pilots query.

Post by Paul K »

I'm in a discussion about who piloted XR219 before the project was cancelled. I believe Roland Beamont was at the controls during all 24 test flights, but someone insists USAF test pilots flew it and reported back to the Pentagon. Complete tripe of course, but I would like to know if anyone other than Roland piloted it.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: TSR2 test pilots query.

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, the answer to your question is that apart from Roland Beaumont flying the TSR2 |Wing Commander James "Jimmy" Dell also flew the TSR2 and described the prototype as handling like a big Lightning.

More here>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAC_TSR-2

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks, Nigel - so, that's two names, Beamont and Dell. Were there any others, do you know ?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

As far as I am able to find out there are no other pilots involved in test flying the TSR2, I think Dell only had one flight as previously he was the chase aircraft flying the Lightning. TSR2 did 2 dozen flights in total and most of them were plagued with problems.

With an aircraft such as this undertaking test flights I would doubt that any other test pilot from America would have been allowed to fly her at all.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Paul, no other pilots flew XR219 (the only one that flew). There would have been USAF test pilots later down the road, probably about the time XR225 would have been schedule to fly, but it was an incomplete airframe at cancellation. XR220 had the modified (fixed - as in problems corrected) landing gear and was scheduled to be flown on the morning of the cancellation (I think it was Jimmy dell who was due to fly her).

There was an earlier aircraft project, the name of it escapes me, but it was the British supersonic flight project. I know that after years of work, all of the staff were told to take a weekend off for some rest as they were burnt out, and when they came in on the Monday, all of the work in its entirety had been taken by the Americans. They had solved the tailplane fluttering issues and allegedly the design appeared 6 months later in, I think it was an aircraft after the Bell X1 (maybe the X-15?). So it may be that your friend is getting confused with that?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I left the Weybridge design office before TSR2 flew, but I have bought both books & Aeroplane mags that cover the subject of TSR2 background information. ( Issue No 559 November 2019 & a snippet in this months issue 595 November 2022).
I cannot find in the magazines any reference to the test flights & my son has the books, but from my memory I would agree with Nigel that only Beaumont & Dell flew XR219, but I think XR220 was near flight ready after repairs had been done followings its tumble from the Queen Mary trailer, & test flights was probably assigned to Dell.
There is also a long youtube interview with Beamont on the TSR 2 story.
Keith

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel, Keith, Ben - cheers chaps, all good info. Beamont and Dell it is - and yes, I've now read that Jimmy Dell was due to fly XR222 the day it was all cancelled. By the way, the individual I'm debating this with is British.

Ben, the earlier project, where all the info was passed to the US - I think that was the Miles M.52. Miles had experimented with an all-moving tail plane in 1945, fitting it to one of their own Falcons and to a Spitfire. The design of Bell's X-1 may have benefited from Miles's data, though in the world of aerodynamics, it's rare for something to occur to one designer and no one else. Of course, try telling the arsehole Yeager that.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Paul K wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 18:22
Of course, try telling the arsehole Yeager that.
:-O Blasphemy, I tell ya! :lol: ;)

Brian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

FlyTexas wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 18:26
Paul K wrote:
Of course, try telling the arsehole Yeager that.
:-O Blasphemy, I tell ya! :lol: ;)

Brian
I know what you mean Brian, but that man lost a lot of respect here a few years ago with his comments about Britain in the war. A great pilot maybe, and an officer, but certainly no gentleman.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Paul K wrote:
Nigel, Keith, Ben - cheers chaps, all good info. Beamont and Dell it is - and yes, I've now read that Jimmy Dell was due to fly XR222 the day it was all cancelled. By the way, the individual I'm debating this with is British.

Ben, the earlier project, where all the info was passed to the US - I think that was the Miles M.52. Miles had experimented with an all-moving tail plane in 1945, fitting it to one of their own Falcons and to a Spitfire. The design of Bell's X-1 may have benefited from Miles's data, though in the world of aerodynamics, it's rare for something to occur to one designer and no one else. Of course, try telling the arsehole Yeager that.
Yes thats the story of the 'all flying tail', didn't know it was flown though, maybe on the 'Gillette Falcon'?
Keith