FSX Acceleration hassle

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

User avatar
Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Posts: 9202
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 03:46
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia
Contact:

Re: FSX Acceleration hassle

Post by Airspeed »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 16:28

.........
It will take time to move the aircraft over but at least you can have both sims on the same PC at the same time which makes file transfer a bit easier. ...........
Thanks for your elucidating and entertaining description, Larry ;)
I need to move FSX to a bigger drive anyway, so I will probably take your advice and go SE.
You say that moving the aircraft will take time; couldn't I simply cut & paste Sim Objects/Airplanes from one tree to the other?
I thought that scenery would be the long slog, but you're saying to just point SE to that folder *-)
However, I think that ORBX will have to be re-input from their Central hub.
Nothing ventured as they say.
Seat belt on, oxygen on, ........

User avatar
Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde
Posts: 1463
Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 19:39
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)

Re: FSX Acceleration hassle

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Airspeed wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 06:58
Thanks for your elucidating and entertaining description, Larry ;)
No problem Mike, I try my best! :lol:
Airspeed wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 06:58
I need to move FSX to a bigger drive anyway, so I will probably take your advice and go SE.
You say that moving the aircraft will take time; couldn't I simply cut & paste Sim Objects/Airplanes from one tree to the other?
Yup, that's all it takes, drag 'n' drop from one folder to the other in two instances of Windows Explorer. But that will be many Gigs worth of data so once you start the process you will probably have time for a sanger and a couple of tinnies!
Airspeed wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 06:58
I thought that scenery would be the long slog, but you're saying to just point SE to that folder *-)
However, I think that ORBX will have to be re-input from their Central hub.
If you installed your scenery to a location outside of the main '...\FSX\...' folder then yes you can just point the new FSX:SE scenery manager to that location. However, if you installed your scenery into the default 'Addon Scenery' folder within the FSX tree (always a bad move by the way) then you could always copy the contents of that folder to a new folder created elsewhere (could be anywhere on any drive but ideally a different drive to the FSX:SE install) and just point the SE scenery manager at it. Any payware with installers or directly installed (like ORBX) I would re-install to the new location if you have to create a new folder. If your original add-on scenery folder was outside of the main FSX tree I would still re-install ORBX as it might detect that you are using SE and install differently because of that (path structure and registry stuff may get altered etc.)
Airspeed wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 06:58
Nothing ventured as they say.
Seat belt on, oxygen on, ........
Cleared for take-off Sah and fair winds and blue skies to ya!
:thumbsup:
:cheers:
Larry

User avatar
Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Posts: 9202
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 03:46
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia
Contact:

Re: FSX Acceleration hassle

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks Larry :thumbsup:
I always feel more confident doing things when I know why, so would you please say why scenery should not be in the Add on folder.
I have never put FSX in the default C: path based on advice. Maybe the SimObjects should be hived off somewhere else too?

User avatar
Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde
Posts: 1463
Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 19:39
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)

Re: FSX Acceleration hassle

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Airspeed wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 22:44
Thanks Larry :thumbsup:
I always feel more confident doing things when I know why, so would you please say why scenery should not be in the Add on folder.
I have never put FSX in the default C: path based on advice.
I read many years ago that loading scenery was one of the biggest things to slow down FSX and cause stutters and having all your additional scenery in the default 'Addon Scenery' folder compounded the issue. The reason given was that the sim was trying to read data for the operation of the aircraft and data for the scenery from the same drive at the same time which caused it to grab a chunk of this and then a chunk of that (repeat ad infinitum) and made the HDD shuffle back and forth at a rapid pace as it tried to supply two lots of data at the same time. By putting the additional scenery in a separate folder on a different drive (Note: NOT a different partition on the same drive!) you can speed up the access time for both data sources as two different drives are supplying the data at the same time.
Airspeed wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 22:44
Maybe the SimObjects should be hived off somewhere else too?
That is not possible to do in FSX as far as I am aware but apparently it is possible to do that in some of the newest iterations of P3D as you can drag aircraft folders off to a new location and then point P3D at that new location. I know of at least one of the active members/mod creators over at SOH who does that and keeps things like all his GA aircraft, all his helicopters, all his military aircraft, all his bush planes, etc., etc., etc. in different folders on a different drive and then he just selects which folder he wants to access depending on what type of aircraft he feels like flying that day. Apparently that system works for him but it seems a bit complex to me. :dunno:
Larry

Post Reply