Which AI system are you using in MSFS

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Which AI system are you using in MSFS

Post by TSR2 »

Hi chaps,

I was having a read this morning about all of the different AI permutations.

In P3D and FSX i used AIG a lot, but with the live traffic in MSFS i couldn’t figure out the AIG system. When FSTL came out I gave that a go and i really like it, it just seems to install and work. I’ve been reading how others are using the AIG models (and the payware FSTraffic) with FSTL, and its got me thinking that it should then be possible at some point to substitute modern models for classics.

Anyway, I was curious as to which AI setup you are all using?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Which AI system are you using in MSFS

Post by DaveG »

I used to use AIG, which worked great, but I tried to move it to another drive to save space on my sim drive & it wouldn't recognise that the models and flightplans were already installed. Couldn't be bothered to download the whole lot again. 8) Then FSTL came out so I tried that. Works great.
I did buy JF FS Traffic, but it's very buggy and limited at the moment. Seems like you only get traffic at your departure and destination airports, with some random enroute stuff thrown in. I did a flight where I had to divert and the diversion airport was empty.
You are apparently able to add your own routes and models, but the program just crashes when I try and add anything. I was hoping to get some classic stuff buzzing around Duxford etc. I'm sure JF will iron out the bugs in time.
For now, I'm just using the models along with FSTL.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Have you manged to get FSTL to read the AIG models? If I could figure out how they do that, it would certainly open things up. I do really like that with FSTL, I can be looking at FR24 and see whats coming up on my route in real time.

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

No, I don't have AIG installed any more. I believe it should work though. It's working with the JF models.
Dave G.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I've got FSTL, but haven't used it much. There was a lot of odd behaviour, such as two out of three approaches resulting in go-arounds, and I find that too much of a distraction. I'm mainly doing GA out of small airfields at the moment, so it's not something I need, but I bought the PMDG 737-700 yesterday, so as soon as I've read the manual, it'll be back to bigger airports.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Most, if not all, the problems with ai going around etc are down to Asobo knackering the ai system an update or two ago. Hopefully they'll fix it next time round.
Another thing I've just remembered with FSTL, all the liveries are 4k textures, so the performance hit can be significant unless you have a beast of a system. I've resized all mine down to 1k, as I don't use a 4k screen and don't look at the ai that closely anyway. Saves a considerable amount of space and system resources.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Might give that a go Dave, I’d no idea they were 4K. I’m trying to get my head around if it would be possible to add a Hunter in to represent a Typhoon or Hawk. In theory it should work, but much fannying on and no further forward 😂

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I used this tool to batch resize the textures:

https://izn-flightsim.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... mizer.html

Not a one click solution, but it does handle all the odd texture formats etc.
Dave G.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I looked at this the other day. Bit long winded but I may give it a go. Not using any ai addon at the moment since FSTL was screwed by su 11 Looks to have been improved somewhat since, but the 4k models hit my system and I have to have the injection turned right down. May leave it until after su12 see what goes then.
Dale
Image Image Image

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I used the tool yesterday that Dave posted. By setting the texture reduction to 2k, it reduced the size of the fsltl-traffic-base folder from 33gig to around 8 gig. Not tried it in the sim yet as I'm in MK till tomorrow. A job for tomorrow evening.
Dale
Image Image Image