Viewing texture/map in gmax viewports

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Viewing texture/map in gmax viewports

Post by Dev One »

This question is a follow-on from my problem with obtaining Middleman,(which has been resolved by using the installed version) so I can now create .mdl & .x files.
My current problem comes when applying textures - I cannot view the textured result in the viewports, so unable to position the texture. This only happens with my current model, if I bring up a previous model I can see the result whilst positioning the texture map. The textures are -t.bmp in my 'engineering folder' with DXT'd equivalents in the aircraft folder to view in FS9.
I have tutorials from way back when learning by Milan Lisner, who simply says at the point where one drags & drops the texture into the highlighted area that one should now see the texture.

Note that all of these problems arise after a M$ security update in Feb last year!!! which has taken a long time to partially resolve! Have I got a .dll missing in that particular aircraft file plugins for example?

Any ideas gratefully received - even more so if they work!
Keith

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Viewing texture/map in gmax viewports

Post by DaveG »

If I remember gmax correctly, there's an option in the material editor for each material to show textures. I think it looks something like as sphere with a checkered texture. *-)
Dave G.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Problem solved!!!
Top right of screen there are icons for selecting Standard Primitives, Modify, Heirarchy, Motion, Display & Utilities.
In the Display drop down one can opt for Material or Object color for Wireframe or shaded view in the viewports. This setting must be project dependent, not fixed, if you understand my phraseology.
Thank you DaveG for your response, one also has to select that symbol.
Keith

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Glad you're sorted Keith. :thumbsup:
Dave G.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I've been tearing my hair out these last few months trying to sort out my Gmax installation & this one was the last straw, until having written the query I sat down & my memory got jogged! Always the way aint it. Its also surprising how much one can lose when one has built up a working system & some bright spark creates an update that screws the system up - also makes one upgrade to W10 or W11!!!
Keith :wall: