Duxford Mystery Plane Exhibit

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Duxford Mystery Plane Exhibit

Post by AllanL »

Thanks Ben. where would I be without you bailing me out - again? :worried: :cheers:

Cheers,
Allan

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

AllanL wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 00:13
Anyway the above link should show the crop of the text. The other aircraft that I saw with it was SWP which was tucked into the bottom left hand corner of the hangar, so I could only shoot it from above. The text was not clear but was centre aligned rather than left aligned. Take your pick!
To be sure, to be sure!
What with Paul's update and Allan's photo, there's no doubt at all :welldone:

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

If anyone is thinking of going before the end of the Hurricane display try to avoid around the 14th Feb.

The lady in the supporters bookshop (you have to go in, it's only fair) told us that the site electrics are being shut off about that date for some upgrades.

Also there is some filming due to go on for Netflix around the hangar behind her for a month or so. It's the one with the Shackleton inside. Apparently the film is to be called 688. Whether it is to be about the refurbishment of the Shackleton or not, if the Netflix stuff about F1 is anything to go by you may be lucky to see the aircraft at all.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

TSR2 wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 21:32
Would you believe I still haven't made it to Duxford 😳
Leave it until the summer months. They add an extra hour to the opening times, and if you have to come a long way, it'll be worth it. Also check to make sure it's a 'normal' day i.e. no special events which might restrict access to certain areas.

A few more photos from this week's visit. At long last, I managed to get a close-up look at the recently restored Victor:

The fuselage of Rudolph Hess's Me-110, in which he flew to Scotland:

As ever, my favourite Colonial artefact:

I love Duxford.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

The seventh Hurricane (G-HRLI V7497) has made it to the exhibition just in time, and you can see why it was slow getting there. Anyway, I thought I'd nip down and get a final picture of all seven together. The Hurricane exhibition ends this weekend, so if you're interested you'd better hurri.

I was also able to get all the Victor in one picture, and caught my first sighting of Duxford's second resident airworthy Grumman Wildcat.

A lot of the place is fenced off at the moment, with a big film crew on site - sandbagged Bofors positions, period vehicles, artificial snow etc. It looks completely unconvincing.

Click on the pics for full size:

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Great photos, Paul. Thanks for sharing. That's a lot of Hurricanes in one photo. Ive seen 16 Spitfires in the air together at the same location, but I don't think I've ever seen that many Hurricanes.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

You're welcome, Kevin.