Air Show Downunder 2023 not for me

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Air Show Downunder 2023 not for me

Post by Airspeed »

Regrettably, I'll miss the action in early March.
Sprained ankle, doctor says it should be better "in a few weeks" :wall:

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Air Show Downunder 2023 not for me

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Can't you rent a wheelchair?

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Can't you rent a wheelchair?

Kevin
Could be worth looking into Mike, might even allow you access to a special viewing area. *-) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

TBH, I don't think that the surfaces are that wheelchair friendly.
If we don't have another pandemic, maybe I can get to the next one.
Wait! By then I could be in a wheelchair anyway :doh:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Outback approved mate..

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I was just about to mention a mobility scooter but Joe beat me to it!! :lol:

2 things regarding either wheel chair or scooter Mike as I have both.

Firstly, wheelchairs a OK but you have to either operate it yourself or be pushed around, that is OK if you are on the flat but uneven pavements will cause problems as if the pavement tilts downwards towards the road then you have to use extra muscles to keep one side going straight and I can tell you from experience for those aged 65 plus, it takes a lot of effort, even for some-one who is pushing you depending on the carriers weight. I use mine when going to garden centre or supermarket as it is easy for me to use in those establishments but anywhere else, muscle power, especially going up slight slopes.

Secondly, if looking towards a Motability Scooter to use and or hire, go for one that has Lithium Battery and can be easily taken apart to put in boot of car. I have one and use it when having to travel further around town or even go to the doctors, mine is for pavement use only, it is easy to assemble and can travel up to 30 miles on one charge but depends on temperature. It will travel up to 4 mph which is plenty fast enough but not always possible due to uneven surfaces and pedestrians. I am sure that you would be able to hire one and if you do then when you park up and go for refreshment make sure you do not leave anything in the basket or leave keys in ignition!!

Be sure to ask what the range of the scooter is as some have only around 9 - 13 miles, you will use more power from the battery by stopping and moving, I would ask to hire a pavement scooter that will have a range of at least 13 miles even though you will not travel that distance and one final point, large scooters usually have pneumatic tyres i.e. air in 'em, just make sure if you want one that if you have a break down cover just in case of a puncture and need some-one to come out for recovery but again, disability shops usually provide this service.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for the suggestions and that personal experience information, gentlemen ;)
I'll keep those thoughts for any future requirements :agree:
I've actually sealed my fate for this year now, having made a deal to boost my library with another $300 of aircraft & RAF books.
This includes an original AP 1081, almost a library itself.
That's my short term fun budget blown away :lol:

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Just my experience of an electric mobility scooter I paid just under £900 for mine 2 years ago. Its a pavement variety limited to 4mph & breaks down into 3 pieces the heaviest quoted at 19kilos. Range possible 16 miles but I think less if travelling flat out everywhere. I have 9 inch inflatables which I think one needs as I found that the pavements in Cheltenham were pretty rough. Ground clearance is a bit of a myth for traversing kerbstones, I had to go on excursions sometimes to find dropped kerbes. The one thing I don't like is the 'throttle' switch, not intuitive - really want a rotary motor bike type. Can only use it round village where we now live as there are no pavements into Banbury & traversing roundabouts impossible!
Wife bought an expensive (5k !) one & sent it back because of the throttle switch & she couldn't cope with it doing 11 mph, I found it felt very fast & throttle too much dead space & suddenly power kicking in, not nice if shopping in supermarket.
I did topple over one day coming back from supermarket due to carrying too much and the pavement sloped a bit. Lots of people picked me up.....
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Dev One wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 12:34
Just my experience of an electric mobility scooter .....
Keith
Hair-raising tales Keith!