Is it worth having a VPN?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Is it worth having a VPN?

Post by 511Flyer »

I've had NordVPN for two years now, and it is just coming up for renewal. I don't know if it justifies the cost.

Has anybody had or have a VPN? I wonder what your thoughts are on this. I hasten to add that I don't visit any dubious sites that might cause concern, and I certainly don't use any sort of "Social networking"

Den.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Is it worth having a VPN?

Post by TSR2 »

Any reason why you need it? Are you connecting in a country that has restrictions on internet sites etc?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

It depends on your use case I guess. I use one as, although we're allowed to connect personal devices to the works internet connection, they restrict it heavily and monitor it constantly. Whilst I don't do anything on it that breaches any of their policies I also don't think what I do on my personal devices is any of their business, so long as it doesn't breach their usage rules.

I can also use a non commercial VPN which allows me to connect to my home network securely and access my NAS etc.

For my home connection, rarely. Only if I need to view something with a geographic block. Usually news articles from US based news agencies.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I use OPERA for my webbing which seems to give me VPN, not sure if its a good thing or not TBH. It does seem to warn if one strays into forbidden territory.
Keith

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I started using it because I was getting lots of threatening emails which actually turned out to be scams. You know the sort of thing.

I only connect to the UK initially, but they sometimes move me around during the day.

From what I've seen of the replies so far, I don't think I'll renew.

Thanks. :)