Trying to create simple MSFS mod

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Trying to create simple MSFS mod

Post by blanston12 »

I am trying to do a simple mod of the default Wright Flyer, to convert it into one of the later versions that are actually useful to fly (Model A), as such I am trying to make a container in my community folder that references the binary files in the official folder but overrides just a few config file parameters, like the model name, fuel and engine performance. Has anyone done anything like that or know if an example where someone has done that.

I do have a program that will build the layout.json correctly and I can see the package in the content library, but it does not show up in the selectable aircraft. At one point I set the

[VARIATION]
base_container

to point to the default folder and then it showed up as a different livery of the original aircraft, but the performance parameters I was trying to change were not affected.

I did try to hand modify the original files in the official folder and I know the values I want to set will give me the effect I want, but I would rather leave that alone.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Trying to create simple MSFS mod

Post by Vc Ten »

You must be close Joe, if you can change the livery. I guess there is a parameter wrong that the sim won't accept so I just goes to default. There must be examples of what you are looking for, on flightsim to. There's loads of folks that have made little alteration packages to override in the community folder. Dc3 for one. Or maybe something like this? https://flightsim.to/file/55542/asobo-nxcub-realism-mod
Dale
Image Image Image

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Vc Ten wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 19:26
You must be close Joe, if you can change the livery. I guess there is a parameter wrong that the sim won't accept so I just goes to default. There must be examples of what you are looking for, on flightsim to. There's loads of folks that have made little alteration packages to override in the community folder. Dc3 for one. Or maybe something like this? https://flightsim.to/file/55542/asobo-nxcub-realism-mod
Dale
Hi Dale, the base files, but would rather have them both selectable, thanks, if all else fails that is an option.
Joe Cusick,

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Hi Joe, does your mod consist of additional gltf and bin files or are you just looking to change configuration files?. If so they would need to be specified in the relevant xml files too

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

HI Brian,

Its really just a list of modified cfg files, no binaries. What I finally came up with is one where you drop it into your community folder and it replaces the basic Wright Flyer, here is a link to it if you want to try it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eUQV2T ... drive_link

Given how simple it is, I am not sure its worth distributing.
Joe Cusick,