Change of Direction

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Change of Direction

Post by chrispbits »

At the end of March this year and after 2 years on my latest assignment I said goodbye the world of work and retired. Hopefully for good. Somewhat to my surprise (or perhaps not) I quickly adapted to the lack of stress and found I didn't miss work one bit :lol: . What we did instead was to buy a motorhome and bugger off to Europe for almost 3 months (90 days and all that) travelling mostly around France and a bit into Spain - essentially trying to follow the good weather. We'll be off again in October and rather than meander around France we'll take the most direct route to southern Spain/Portugal.

So far it has been a bit of a blast. My wife is a bit younger than me so she's only on a sabbatical and has to return to work at the end of the year (someone has to earn some pennies :lol: ). One major downside is that flight simming is not on the agenda whilst travelling so I have to get all that in before hitting the road again, albeit I do still follow the goings on here. Good to see that flight simming is as strong as ever with new releases for all three major sims; even if I can no longer invest in all three (something has to give).

Good to see also this site still thriving even if a little quiet at times - it's a good community here and a useful antidote to some of the more rumbunctious sites.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Change of Direction

Post by airboatr »

chrispbits wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 12:01
Good to see that flight simming is as strong as ever with new releases for all three major sims; even if I can no longer invest in all three (something has to give).

Chris, bits and pieces shouldn't set her back much.

:wasntme:

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

I couldn't possibly comment Joe. :hide:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

OK, I won't force you to.

:hide:

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Yes when I took early retirement it was like a huge weight off my shoulders. Should have done it when I was 17.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

At the end of March this year and after 2 years on my latest assignment I said goodbye the world of work and retired.
Hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I do. I took early retirement about ten years ago as I was finding it hard to negotiate 5 flight of stairs at work as working nights either the lifts fail or the fire alarm sounded, so was struggling a bit and health and safety were taking a bit of interest in me!! :hide:

What I have noticed is that time now seems to fly quite literally, weeks seem to fly by. :-O The one thing I have also noticed is that I am kept a lot busier than when I was at work which is a good thing as I really enjoy our garden!! 8)

Wishing you a long and happy retirement! :cheers:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

My retirement hasn't turned out quite the way I expected. 8)

The company I worked for didn't survive the lock down we went through over here, so I decided to retire early. As a favour to my former boss I agreed to continue repairing security equipment for a long time customer as a bit of a hobby. I inherited some of the test equipment and tools so that I could work from home.

At first it was fine, less than a day of work per week and a bit of extra cash. Then a friend of my customer sent me a few things to repair, and then a friend of his, and another friend, and so on. Nowadays I normally have a full week of work, plus I had to open company to keep the documentation and taxes in order. I ended up buying all the spares stock from the old company too.

I had planned to go fishing, shooting and generally hooning around on my bike, but that didn't really happen. Just last week I went to Macaé to redo my certifications for offshore work, later this month I'm off to an oil platform to sort out a problem there.

On the positive side I get to keep all the profits, on the negative side I am working more now than when I was an employee.

I do still take the odd day off now and again, and I must admit I quite enjoy what I'm doing. My partner doesn't retire for another 18 months, so we are still limited by her job in what we can do together. Perhaps I will really retire when she does.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett