Question About Nimod Please

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Re: Question About Nimod Please

Post by chrispbits »

The Nimrod was built at Woodford Ben. The cancellation of the MRA4 was one of the reasons cited for the closure of Woodford - that and the cancellation of the RJ series.

There's also an airframe at the air museum in Norwich, adjacent to the airport - I don't have any details as I saw it when passing but they do tours around her. The Norwich air museum looks quite interesting - small but possesses some interesting aircraft.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Brian Franklin wrote:
18 Aug 2023, 11:23
Probably about right. So many things sticking out into the airstream amounted to a lot of drag. I've heard stories of various ATC controllers querying 'are you sure you're a four ship?'
Thanks for answer. Hope the Vatsim controllers do not ask me the same question hahhahahahah

Regards,

Aharon

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

chrispbits wrote:
18 Aug 2023, 16:47
The Nimrod was built at Woodford Ben.
As I said in an earlier post I worked on the HS801 during my apprenticeship at Broughton.
We built the wings and the fuselage on the Comet track (this would be around 1970) The airframes would be transported by road, to Woodford, to be assembled. As the space in the factory was needed for the forthcoming A300 wings, the jigs were shipped out to Woodford, but not sure how many were built from scratch.
A similar arrangement was done with the HS748 The airframe /wings were built in Chadderton and assembled in Woodford. Think they would have had issues assembling them in Chadderton. It was a bit tight there.
Dale
Image Image Image