Notebook, laptop or not sure?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Notebook, laptop or not sure?

Post by Nigel H-J »

Babs is interested in having a new laptop, the one she presently has is really old and will not be able to upgrade to Win 11. She bought it from PC World maybe 15 years ago and it is going downhill very quickly, in other words so slow on booting up it takes around 10 minutes before being able to do anything on it. (I have recently re-installed Windows 10 but no good).

All she needs is for a quick laptop but not sure which type to have, I do not want to make any suggestions to her as I have very little, if any, knowledge on them.

She had asked about a MacBook or Chromebook and a tablet but apart from reading up the information (don't want to ask PC World salesperson as one had given me duff info in the past). Rather start here as your knowledge is from one's' own experiences and can give me an idea before looking. Usage will be looking for information, (cough) ordering things :worried: and general usage such as videos so need one that will play well and not spend time winding itself up then playing!! :doh:

She is in no hurry so therefore it may be as much as six months before making her mind up but with dales for New Year around the corner....... *-)

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Re: Notebook, laptop or not sure?

Post by Archer »

I'm not a big fan of the idea of a Chromebook, as you're locked into the Google ecosystem with those things and it can only run stuff through a browser... or something like that. If it's only for browsing, videos and such, you could consider a MacBook Air as they are very light, easy to use and very capable for day-to-day use. If you can find a not too old 2nd hand one in good nick, even better. Anything with an M1 processor or newer would be perfect, older models still run on Intel processors and they will not be able ot be updated to the latest OS soon.

The problem (in my view) with Windows laptops is that the good ones are pricy, the ones that are small and light even more so and they all go downhill pretty quickly after a few years. In my experience, MacBooks last a lot better over the years.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I’ve moved over to Macbooks recently and they are superb. I used macfinder.co.uk to get a macbook air M1. The battery life is incredible compared to a Windows Laptop.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Many thanks for your replies, so a Macbook appears to be the way forward for Babs.

As stated in my previous post, it may not be for a good few months or a bit longer, got to start saving up for one but at least I know which way to go.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Regards
Nigel.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Bear in mind there are plenty of after X-Mas sales for laptops

What is your wife going to use laptop for? Work or home or both?? Without knowing what your wife's exact computing needs are, anybody cannot make efficient recommendation to you for new laptop. Macbooks are always overpriced compared to Windows laptops.

You need to tell us more about exactly what your wife is using laptop for so that we can make more efficient recommendation for your wife's next laptop more suited to her specific computing needs.

There is BIG DIFFERENCE in recommending kind of laptop to a wife who is journalist and a wife who is architect meaning the former does not need powerful laptop and the latter needs powerful laptop.

You have not mentioned if your wife likes to watch video streaming films or tv episodes on laptop which requires certain type of laptop.

As for your wife's request for a tablet too, I would recommend Amazon Fire HQ 11 inch as it is amazing and only 1/5 of price of Apple Ipad tablet.

Regards,

Aharon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

HI Aharon, as stated in my first post she will be using it for informative videos from the likes of YouTube general information gardening tips and buying. I will be going with previous suggestions of a ChromeBook but not in any hurry just yet, need to save up ;)

Many thanks for your reply.

Regards
Nigel.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Hi mate,

I vote Chromebook. I've used one for a good few years now and I've seen vast improvements on it courtesy of updates to Chrome OS.
In terms of updates, each Chromebook model has a date as to when the Chrome OS updates will end. I've had my model for 4 years and the updates will end in 2029... not too shabby at all.

In terms of being locked into the Google ecosystem, I'd rather that than the awful Apple one. You'll also spend a lot less on a Chromebook.

Speed wise, they are very nippy - even the budget models, although things do of course improve when you spend a little more with features such as a backlit keyboard, higher resolution screen or as mine has, a flip capability where the screen flips back on itself to transform into a tablet.

I've recommended Chromebooks to friends who have had similar requirements to Babs and they've been more than happy with them.

:cheers:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chris, very many thanks for the information, will definitely be getting her one sometime in the New Year.

Regards
Nigel.