A Useful False Dawn

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

A Useful False Dawn

Post by chrispbits »

How many times has this happened (lots)? It turns out that the Tdr fix was yet another red herring, but a useful one in this instance. After turning off TdrWatch I was getting weird errors (black screens) in MSFS, which often required a reboot. These were happening frequently and without any discernible pattern. It looked very much like a hardware issue so I had a bit of a brainwave - it turns out the thing causing my many MSFS crashes is the use of the Display Port on my graphics card. I've swapped over to HDMI, reversed my Tdr changes and done extended testing in MSFS. Crashes have completely disappeared.

I haven't identified the root cause as it's unlikely to be the Display Port alone - only MSFS had a problem with this but the current position is good enough. Jut in time for Christmas. :)

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: A Useful False Dawn

Post by TSR2 »

What sort of Graphics card do you have? If its Nvidia, do you know to clear the Windows Shader Cache any time theres a display driver update?

Also on occasion, you many need to delete AND RECREATE the in sim rolling cache. :cpu:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Re: A Useful False Dawn

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Ben, I have an NVidia card and I didn't know about the Windows shader cache. I'll include that as standard practice from now on. I have a standard 2070 so I don't believe I'm missing out by using the HDMI port so I'll keep the new set up

Thanks for the info - it all helps.