Win 11 yes or no

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Win 11 yes or no

Post by airboatr »

I got an invitation on my surface 7 to install win 11 . currently running win 10 home.
I'm wondering how those of you, who've up graded or purchased a new PC with win11, are liking it,

I have to say I don't like the 22h2 win 10 update. windows takes it upon itself to install programs I don't want like Skype.. I would have sworn in a court of law I deleted my account before uninstalling it years ago.... years man, like not long after Garry R passed on.
oh - and moving my files onto the one drive .which I never gave my approval.

frankly - it creeps me out. :hide:

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Win 11 yes or no

Post by TSR2 »

It’s coming Joe whether we like it or not. Windows 11 23H2 which was released last month installs all the AI guff whether you want it or not, and there’s no way to disable it on the Home edition, only corporations with an enterprise agreement can switch it off. That’s why I’ve moved to Apple. I still have the FS PC, but I haven’t had any time to fly this last few months.

In short W11 works well in its latest guise, but it’s too invasive for me and I want the kids using their brains, not Copilot (aka chat gpt)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

agreed. Ben.
I won't be going to win 11 on the surface or my 2 laptops.

The laptops aren't connected to the internet. one is for FS , which unfortunately I have no time for. the other is for some photoshop work my phone isn't able to do - Yet. and a few other things I need for my trade, like Panel Schedules and labels.

Like :
Danger! Electrical Shock Hazzard!
This Can Kill You!
And it will hurt the whole time you are dying!

don't laugh, I've never had anyone hurt or killed on my jobs when I post this sign.

I had a notebook that had XP on it , the key became corrupted in the bios so I installed Linux .. I liked it and used it until the OS was no longer supported .
Maybe I'll install Ubuntu on the Surface when win 10 goes in 0ct 25.
maybe I won't have to deal with it... who knows what can happen between now and then?... :dunno:

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

airboatr wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 04:55

Danger! Electrical Shock Hazzard!
This Can Kill You!
And it will hurt the whole time you are dying!

Hey Joe! If that is what you are actually posting on your work you might want to run it through a spell checker! Unless you are making signs for a fictional county in a late 70's TV show featuring a bunch of good ole boys and a souped-up car!

:doh: :dunno: *-)
Larry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Hi Joe, I would try to avoid it. I don't have any experience upgrading from W7 to W11 but I have from W7 to W10 and when I did they aways ran really slow, but up until now all my old computers that ran W7 had CPU's that would not run W11, have they made W11 compatible with more older CPU's?

BTW, my newer computer that runs W11 I am very happy with.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

airboatr wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 18:00
I got an invitation on my surface 7 to install win 11 . currently running win 10 home.
I'm wondering how those of you, who've up graded or purchased a new PC with win11, are liking it,

I bought a brand new PC with W11, and I must say I've been very happy. Everything works perfectly.

Two caveats, however:
1. With W11 installed from new, there were no possibilities of conflicts or general weirdness from an upgrade process.
2. My previous PC was Windows 7, so I was easily impressed.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 15:09
Hey Joe! If that is what you are actually posting on your work you might want to run it through a spell checker! Unless you are making signs for a fictional county in a late 70's TV show featuring a bunch of good ole boys and a souped-up car!

:doh: :dunno: *-)

I'm always happy to make you feel better about your low self esteem . :thumbsup:

:lol:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Paul K wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 20:57

I bought a brand new PC with W11, and I must say I've been very happy. Everything works perfectly.

Two caveats, however:
1. With W11 installed from new, there were no possibilities of conflicts or general weirdness from an upgrade process.
2. My previous PC was Windows 7, so I was easily impressed.
Hello Paul.

My issue is the intrusive nature of MSOS.

For instance, I used sky pe to chat with Garry years ago, After Garry passed away, I uninstalled sky pe after deleting my account. I'm certain I checked all the confirm and apply boxes.. anyway.. After I installed the 22H2 win 10 update. I noticed sky pe had been installed with my old screen name active. *-) .

Thank you for your reply, Paul.
It's always good to hear from an old friend.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

You are very welcome, Joe. :cheers:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

blanston12 wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 17:54
Hi Joe, I would try to avoid it. I don't have any experience upgrading from W7 to W11 but I have from W7 to W10 and when I did they aways ran really slow, but up until now all my old computers that ran W7 had CPU's that would not run W11, have they made W11 compatible with more older CPU's?

BTW, my newer computer that runs W11 I am very happy with.

Hi Joe,

So the notebook I use to type up panel schedules and such,
had win 8.1 on it. It was slow out of the starting gate. It retailed for 389. But at the end of the year I bought the demo unit for just under 100.00 with tax. I upgraded to win 10 and didn't update the OS at all for a few years.. 3 or 4? Then I decided to update it for security reasons and was surprised what a monster msos turned into.
It's still slower that molasses in the dead of winter. But it serves it's purpose.
The sim machine I aquired from a customer who messed up the upgrade from 8.1 to win 10. It wouldn't boot up and after talking with me about the cost of fixing it They gave it to me and bought a new laptop.
It's a Lenovo i7, dedicated Nvidia graphics 4gb ram .
It runs very smooth both the OS and ms fs9, fsx and the Lockheed sim nicely with the settings pulled back a bit.

The surface, I use for entertainment. - music videos, movies. Audio files. Casting the video to a LG 43" NANO set. with a pair of Zealot S67 TWS. Speakers for the audio.
WOW. We've come a long way in music entertainment hardware since the days of my JC Penny MCS Stero amps and an 8 track or phonograph I had when I was 15 years young.

joe