Around the World 2: Darwin

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Around the World 2: Darwin

Post by Paul K »

After Singapore, I flew down to Darwin. I was only there for two days, and the aviation museum was a priority.

Click on the pictures for the full image:

Getting off at Darwin airport. No, no, Ben...don't thank me - it's a pleasure.

Considering the museum is really only one building, albeit a large one, pound for pound it is one of the best I've been to.

Back in Darwin itself, I went to visit the fuel tank tunnels, near the harbour. They were built during WW2, to store fuel for ships and aircraft, but were never a great success because water kept leaking into them. Great that they have reopened one of them as a museum.

About to depart Darwin on The Ghan, one of the great railway journeys of the world. 4 days and 3 nights through the heart of Australia down to Adelaide, with off-train excursions every day. It's been on my bucket list for years, and it didn't disappoint. Truly memorable.

The Ghan's website;

https://www.journeybeyondrail.com.au/journeys/the-ghan/

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Around the World 2: Darwin

Post by TSR2 »

Brilliant Paul! Lots in there, but the Mirage brings back memories, one of my first plastic models, I think it was the 3rd or 4th. She looks in great condition.

Had to look up that train journey, looks like a great way to go across Australia. Really enjoying these, thanks :thumbsup: (Aside from the Boeing Abomination at the start). 8) :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Ben, if you look at the underside of the Mirage's fuselage, just behind the nose wheel, you'll see she's a bit battered.

The full story is here: https://www.darwinaviationmuseum.com.au/mirage-1110/

This is her on the mudflats:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

TSR2 wrote:
02 Jan 2024, 22:05
Had to look up that train journey, looks like a great way to go across Australia.
It was wonderful. My own cabin, superb food, free bar, great people - I'd recommend it to anyone. Plus, I finally got to Alice Springs, somewhere I didn't get to when I lived in Australia as a boy. We had a talk at the Royal Flying Doctor Service HQ there, and amongst other things, I learned it's easier to get dental treatment in the remote Outback than it is in urban Britain. I kid you not!

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

GREAT PHOTOS

Is it my imagination or am I seeing F-18 Hornet in the museum?? Is it too young to be in the museum??

Regards,

Aharon

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Aharon wrote:
03 Jan 2024, 20:14
GREAT PHOTOS

Is it my imagination or am I seeing F-18 Hornet in the museum?? Is it too young to be in the museum??

Regards,

Aharon
It's one of the early Hornets, but I believe it is a recent addition to the museum. They are now replaced by the Super Hornets in RAAF service.