The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

DLSS

Post by Nigel H-J »

I only just found this out and by accident which was fortunate. :excited:

I was running MS2020 and had the DLSS feature on and with my settings in MS2020 was set to around Mid to High I was quite satisfied with the performance until I watched a Q8 Pilot video on YouTube. The DLSS Swapper, where you can update the DLSS to a newer version.

So being a bit sceptical (as other tricks have failed me) I followed his instructions which were easily followed, I then decided to try the latest one which is primarily for the RTX 40 Series but had read it will also help earlier RTX Graphic Cards, mine is a RTX 2070 so getting on quite a bit. The Swapper is so easy to manage and chose the latest one just to see if it works but before selecting the updated version I ran MS with the PMDG DC 6 lined up on R/W 27 R Heathrow Airport. I had everything set as written above along with FSLT AI Aircraft running and started down the runway. Bearing in mind that my FPS is limited to 30 FPS I was getting 18 to 20 FPS. After installing the latest DLSS Driver, it shot up to 29 - 30FPS and possibly could have gone a lot higher had I not had my frame rates restricted, I also did another check on increased settings with some at Ultra and also flew from an airport in New York with the same result.

I really want to try it without my FPS being restricted to 30 and hopefully some-one can advise me how to free it up, I did try the NVIDIA Control Panel and increased the FPS Range but of no use.

Don't know whether any-one else has tried the Swapper but it only supports RTX Cards. When updating you do need to restart the sim.

Q8 Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYVSFoLGlyc

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: DLSS

Post by DaveG »

Thanks for the tip Nigel, but afraid it made no difference for me. Frame rates were approximately the same, but image quality was a fair bit worse than my usual TAA setting, although better than the default DLSS.
Dave G.

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

I tried this out and it had an immediate effect, unfortunately in the wrong direction my FPS went from averaging 40-45 right down to 20. FPS isn't everything as long as the overall effect is smooth and believable. However with the FPS drop can unbelievable stuttering and sticking. Instantly back to normal when DLSS disabled. This is using an RTX 3080Ti FE

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Good grief, I certainly did not expect this, I had tried about ten various settings and found that two were by far the best with one reaching up to 45fps though I am running an RTX 2070 but thought that as in the case of Q8 Pilot, other users would also benefit as he reported a big jump in performance. Presently I am using 3.1.30.0 but the other that I can use with better performance is the latest release being 3.5.10.0

Sorry if I have wasted your time over this as I really thought it would benefit users, cannot really understand why this is not the case!! :dunno:

Regards
Nigel.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Don't worry Nigel, it wasn't a waste of time. Didn't take long to try, so certainly worth a go. I'm only using a 2070 as well. If I unlock the frame rate I usually get around 45fps using TAA and it's nice and sharp. Using DLSS the frame rate is about the same, but it's less sharp and there's a lot of ghosting.
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Dave, many thanks for your reply, to be honest I have always used DLSS but from your writing I think I am going to have to try TAA to see if I get the same performance as yourself.

Now are you talking about NVidia setting here or the setting in MS2020? I am also going to go through the graphic settings in MS2020 as came across a video from 'Dwindling FPS' showing differences between graphic settings i.e. Low/Medium/High etc. so will be going through that so as to make up my mind which is important or can be left out, I'm sure somewhere in there will help me decide which gives overall better viewing i.e. clouds for instance, there does not seem to be that much difference from Medium to Ultra and it could mean a gain in FPS? :dunno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNOacTwj4Uw

Regards
Nigel.

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

It was a good post so don't have any fears about that. It seems that this 'solution' produces extremely different results on differing system and setups. I'll be sticking with TAA for now too! Sharing info like this is the way many of us discover new apps and techniques.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I tried DLSS last year too Nigel. I did get an uplift of about 10 fps, but found that the tops of mountains and edges of clouds were pixelated, so switched back. I can get 40-50 fps without it, so wasn’t a big concern. I didn't try the DLSS version change thing though, just stuck with the default version of DLSS when i tried it.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Brian, very many thanks for your reply, I hope that this post may have at least helped in some-way for others. As you and Dave mentioned TAA I thought I would give it a go and found that frame rates were more or less equal to DLSS so may try TAA for a while. :thumbsup:

Ben, I am now giving up on chasing shadows as trying to gain a few more FPS had led to experimenting changing settings and one or two things led to something else so decided to wipe the board clean and just set up the graphics starting at Ultra then went for a flight from London Airport R/W 27 as that is where my frame rates drop, the only setting I changed was clouds back to high and had FSLTL running

My computer is only an 17-900K with 32G Ram RTX2700 but at Ultra this took me somewhat by surprise so now going to leave it well alone as a very happy bunny the FPS did drop to 25fps before picking up again when flying. Please click on image for FPS top right picture.

Regards
Nigel