The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Monitor issue

Post by adysmith »

I am a CI at our local RAFAC squadron.

One of our flight sims has recently thrown a wobbly.

It is old, WIN7 and FSX.
Runs windows just fine on a LARGE monitor, but if you start FSX then, after the initial config screen, when I click "Fly Now" it goes blank with a message along the lines of "input mode not supported"

On a small (approx 17 inch) monitor FSX runs fine, but not on a large monitor (tried three different big monitors"

Ideas?
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Monitor issue

Post by TSR2 »

Yep, in the FSX settings for display resolution someone has set a setting that is higher than the maximum resolution of the monitor.

If you change it back down to something like 1024 x 768 x 32 and see if that works in the first instance. If it does, you can then look at the native monitor resolution which might be highter and you can change the setting to that.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

In addition to the above check that the screen frequency (sometimes called the 'refresh rate') is set correctly and it matches the native setting for the monitor. They are usually 50 or 60 Hz as standard.
Larry

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Yep, in the FSX settings for display resolution someone has set a setting that is higher than the maximum resolution of the monitor.
Nothing should have been changed on the PC, I am supposed to be the only one who is allowed to meddle with it, but I will try that and see what happens.
ImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

I dropped the FSX resolution down to 1024*768 then plugged the big monitor in.

FSX is now running on the big monitor (although we have lost the sound but that is a minor inconvenience) even though the native resolution for the big monitor is 1920*1080.

I suspect the PC graphics card is getting very old but for now it has a second wind.

Thanks everybody
ImageImage