Active Sky

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Active Sky

Post by Jetset »

Just a quick question. For all users who are using Active Sky, are you using the original FS2002 version, patched to work with FS2004, or have you got another version? It's just that I can get an original Active Sky for £7.99 and then download the patch from Just Flight.

Any suggestions?
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

andy

Re: Active Sky

Post by andy »

Jetset wrote:Just a quick question. For all users who are using Active Sky, are you using the original FS2002 version, patched to work with FS2004, or have you got another version? It's just that I can get an original Active Sky for £7.99 and then download the patch from Just Flight.

Any suggestions?
The original activesky was freeware. I'm sure it's still kicking around on a few websites. :wink:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I upgraded from AS4.5 to 6 and that worked fine. If I remember rightly I had to uninstall 4.5 first and then install the new version.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

This version was purchased from Just Flight, not too sure of the version number. I know for the patch to work I have to have the original CD installed, and then install the patch. This should then allow the FS2002 version to work with FS2004. I don't think it is a freeware version.

Has anybody used the FS2002 version with FS2004, and if so what were the results.

If c@#p, is it worth buying a newer version.
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Jetty..

I doubt the 2002 version will work in 2004 as the wx engine is totally different mate. I've had ActiveSky from ver4 thru 4.5, 5 and now 6 and I still consider 4.5 as the pick of the bunch. 5 was a dog (framerate killer) and I don't see 6 as being a great deal better. If my memory is correct (don't bank on it) the 2004 version was called ActiveSky2004 and the 2002 version was called ActiveSky wxRE. There are updates available on the hifisim.com website :smile:

Ben.. you can have 4.5 and either 5 or 6 installed at the same time mate :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I have AS6 installed at current and still don't understand why people continue to complain about framerates when the reason is in front of their face and they can fix it very easily. Go into ActiveSky Graphics and reduce the resolution of the clouds.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I don't think that's the whole answer Chris much as something newer is always going to be better :think: Whatever.. AS6 is a decent prog though I'm not convinced it's any better than FSMeteo V7 (which I also have) :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

The cloud resolution is 99% of people's problems with the framerates (including myself) I had the clouds set to max resolution and my system bogged down. I reduced them a couple of notches (with little loss in actual resolution as displayed) and reset my cloud draw distance to 60NM (which is more than enough distance) and saw a marked improvement in performance. Every other person who's made the same changes have had the same results and gone from a AS6 that drags to an AS6 that has little-to-no impact on framerates.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Same here Chris - I just notched AS6 down a little and et viola frame rate hits dimish almost expontetially

Leif

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Thanks chaps, I will invest in a newer version. :wink:
Jetty!