Martin Mars

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I received my copy of Martin Mars Flying Boats in the mail. It includes a diagram of what each gauge and switch is on the engineer's panels. I'm considering making an Engineer's panel for the Mars my first big panel project, but I'm not yet ready to commit to it.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Chris

Is it as complex as I imagine?

A lot was done from the engineers station in those days.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Garry..

I don't know if you have a copy of Pilot's B314 Clipper but this too has quite an austere main panel when compared to that of the FltEng. Point is, many multi crew flightdecks were laid out in a similar fashion so the Mars is nothing unusual.. other than that the main panel is probably more austere than most! :lol:
Concorde, VC10.. two names very familiar with us all here have pretty huge FltEng panels with a mass of dials covering all onboard systems. I could easily have included the Trident here but technically, the Trident didn't carry a FltEng but a P3. Look at the One-Eleven and Vangaurd.. aircraft designed to have a minimum of a 2-man crew and the flightdecks are totally different which, of course, they have to be.

I admit that I've lost the plot a little with where this thread is going but it's probably worth stating the obvious that as time has progressed, aircraft systems have become smaller and more powerful and this is reflected in the newest aircraft which are much larger.. still in some cases multi-engined (by this I mean 4 engines rather than 2) and have been designed from the outset to embrace the latest technology which in turn requires less legwork to operate and thus less bodies up front. It is certainly true that the pair 'up front' have more systems to monitor on such aircraft but again, this is a sign of the times.

Hope this all makes sense and is relevant as I'm late for my medication! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

This here is one of the problems of FS

How busy one is a times trying to fly set to course/AP talk to ATC and make the tea

These real aircraft had two, three, four up there doing all this.

It does make it impracticle for some of these types to have real panels as they can't be operated as they would have been..............If you follow.

OK I'm late for my medication as well :worried:

:smile:

Garry
Garry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

The B314 is a good example of this Garry. The AP is quite realistic on it as in it will not hold altitude particularly well though fortunately, it WILL maintain a heading. Joe FS-Pilot has certain functions to perform which are modelled on the rather splendid engineers panel but this, near as damn it, is full screen so one has to have one's sh1t sorted at certain times of the flight. I dread to think what it's like trying it with ATC though I doubt too many stations use MF/HF these days!! :lol: :lol:

If you ever stumble over the B314 Garry, it's not a bad piece of kit even though it was originally for 2002. The 2004 patch has given it a new lease of life but a somewhat sporty performance too which spoils the whole effect. Some nice BOAC paints come with it.. my reason for buying it in the first place. 52mb and 3hrs download time on dialup :shock: Those were the days :-({|=

:lol: :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi DB

No I have not experienced the 314 in FS

Sounds like it was a good issue at the time.

Dial up......those were the 'Good ole Days' :sad: .

It's hard to image now when broadband make 5 minuets seem like is taking it's time :lol:

Yeah, I know someones gonna reply I'm still on Dial up :crying:

Garry
Garry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Garry Russell wrote:Hi Chris

Is it as complex as I imagine?

A lot was done from the engineers station in those days.

Garry
In many ways it is, but in others it isn't.

I'm still trying to figure out what one of the 60-odd gauges on the main panel because it's listed as "Plexiglas window", so I'm wondering what the window looked upon.

Other than that, the fuel gauges actually aren't that complex and the switch panel has about what you'd expect on it. The trick is going to be putting together the diagram with pictures of the actual gauges and switches to get what they really look like. At this point, I think the main focus will be to just get the right gauges in the right places to allow you to sit at the back panel while trimming the engines for the given phase of flight. That's the most important function of the FE. The switches would be next since most of your anti-icing and hydraulic controls are there. Final would be the fuel system because it would take a lot of help from XML programmers to get it to work right.