Short Flight in a FGR.2

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Post by Reheat »

Im a big fan of VC's now - used to hate them but the TrackIR changed that.

However, the TrackIR is great for landing and low level flight, its pretty useless for anything above 4000ft AGL. That sadly means that aircraft without a 2D aren't going to get used for any more than 15 - 20 mins at a time on my machine because I'd rather fly something that gives me all the information at a glance.

At least a 2D will be out soon, because I personally really love the visual model and the FDE.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Too b1oody right I'm glad I didn't take the plunge. VC 'only' versions really get my goat up and despite having TrackIR.. I hate it to bits. On a scale of how 'useful' TrackIR is to any of the other odd's and sod's I've bought.. it's pretty much off the scale.. and at the wrong end! Call me old fashioned but the only folk I consider worthy of wearing a hat indoors are women!!

I have digressed :lol: The DSB/IRIS/Forgot the other one Phantom could probably get passed me as I'm not au fait to the same degree as a good many here with the type. If Steve doesn't like the look of it.. that's enough for me not to buy it and as for it having no 2D.. I'm still waiting for the ones for the UKFighters Pack :wink:

Where's my foot and that spare loaded shotgun I have :think:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Post by Reheat »

Dave,

The UKFP had a 2D panel! It was just released seperately as a freeware download. Couldn't see bugger all out of it mind..but it had one!

andy

Post by andy »

DaveB wrote:Too b1oody right I'm glad I didn't take the plunge. VC 'only' versions really get my goat up and despite having TrackIR.. I hate it to bits. On a scale of how 'useful' TrackIR is to any of the other odd's and sod's I've bought.. it's pretty much off the scale.. and at the wrong end! Call me old fashioned but the only folk I consider worthy of wearing a hat indoors are women!!

I have digressed :lol: The DSB/IRIS/Forgot the other one Phantom could probably get passed me as I'm not au fait to the same degree as a good many here with the type. If Steve doesn't like the look of it.. that's enough for me not to buy it and as for it having no 2D.. I'm still waiting for the ones for the UKFighters Pack :wink:

Where's my foot and that spare loaded shotgun I have :think:

ATB

Dave, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong about the model, it just doesn't jump out at me. I've waited a long time for a decent F4............i'm just not falling head over heels for it. It may grow on me, on the other hand, a better one may come along shortly.
Who can tell. :dunno: :wink:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That is true Alex.. or so I gather. By the time I heard about it, it was no longer available.. such were DB's personal circumstances and probably the snortingly wild, rapturous reception the original models received. Then followed a metamorphosis from DSB to Sigma to Iris and here we are now.

I have no personal gripe with DB or any of the Iris team but I don't like being pee'd about. The Phantom and Bucc.. though visually quite nice are two of the most hideous models I've flown and were it not for the fact I paid for them, I'd have binned em. The sale of these is well documented so it's not worth raking it back up as all parties have 'moved on' so to speak.

This is only my personal view and I'm sure 'The Mistress' and/or DB himself will come on here and move me further down their Christmas card list than is possible but.. worried that Alpha have got the jump on them with not one but a handful of UK oriented models.. their Phantom has been rushed out.. incomplete.. in order to make the best of a bad job. While this may make commercial sense, it doesn't do much to endear the customer to a product brand.

ATB

ImageImage

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Post by Reheat »

Dave,

I actually don't have the UKFP any more, I lost all that in a recent "accident" involving a DVD being used as a drinks coaster by a visitor.

The DVD is now somewhat warped from the hot coffe cup :-#

At the time I bought the UKFP I loved it, the FDE was rather clunky, once I'd re-done it with more realistic values, now condemmed to coffeedom, It was a pretty good pack, the panels were the other let down but with the lack of buccs around what could one do?

My Avatar image is actually from a multiplayer flight "refuelling" session between a Bucc and Phantom of the UKFP and those sessions were pretty fun.

Was the pack worth the £20 or whatever it was? probably not. But over the years I have probably got more than £20 worth of pleasure out of it.

Untill a 2D panel comes out for this IRIS offering I shall probably not use it as much as Id like. However I'm really pleased with the external models.

The IRIS MiG-29 works really well with the VC, it just "feels right. For me the Phantom doesn't suit it.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Fair comment Alex. As with most things, what something is worth is relative to what you get out of it. It could be argued that the CS707 and CSC130.. the DF727.. Oh, whatelse.. F1 ATR72.. the list goes on, are all pretty poor and if you equate use to cost, they're all white elephants.. for me. Likewise, the DSB fighters and a list as long as the A5 have also been a waste of money.. for me. THAT is my problem as much as anything.. more plastic than sense!! :lol:
Put in terms of use against cost.. there are very few payware models that I've actually got anything back on.. just two spring to mind. The Shack Project MR3 and to a lesser degree.. the PD Lancaster. I jump into the Iris Harrier every now and again for a few minutes and the majority of my Alpha fleet gets some air time every couple of months for a similar duration. Too many aircraft.. not enough time to fly em :wink:

ATB

ImageImage