Being a lefty...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

As serious input to this conversation, left handedness is infact genetic. In fact (and no offence to "lefties") its a sort of genetic fault, like colour blindness, asthma or ginger hair :poke: :lol: .

I believe I am right in saying that the right side of the brain controls the left limbs and the left the right side. Presumably therefore in 'normal' folk, the left cerebal hemisphere is the one that has best spatial awareness and control?

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Trying to figure this out as Tag seems to be totally ambidextrous - both Stace and I are righties as are all my family - and hers to, yet his lordship seems totally comfortable drawing with either (and occasionally both) hand(s). Also we bought him a baseball bat and a hitting tee (Its an American thing) and he stood up first time and whacked the ball right handed - and when we put it back on the tee , very calmly changed hands and hit it left handed.....

Leif[/quote]

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

This is getting reminiscent of the insomniac agnostic dyslexic who lay awake all night wondering if there was a dog

Chris

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Hi, my name is Chris - I'm a leftie.

So is about 1/3 of my mother's side of the family. Very few on my dad's side are, so we all know where the defect was... :lol:

Anyway, when I was playing sports, being a leftie was actually something that got me picked more often even though I was a mediocre player. Why? Because in any game where you must throw the ball or you hit the ball, the left hand puts a different spin on it, which throws the defensemen off because of it. In tennis, I (and all other lefties I've observed) have an uncanny knack of being able to make the ball turn nearly 90 degrees after impact when serving. I've never seen a rightie be able to do it. When simply playing, I've noticed that many times, the ball's angle after hitting the ground isn't always predictable, something I don't see with righties. In baseball, a leftie can throw several pitches that a rightie can't because of the need to have the ball spin a certain way.

I've also noticed that left-handed quarterbacks tend to have a more stable spin on their throws and a consistently tighter spiral.

Anyways, it's always fun to be a leftie who can do things rightie. Golf, bat, shoot right, but I do shoot handguns left on occasion for a change of pace.

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

I must add to the list of 'Lefties' but like many others, I would use a computer mouse, joystick, Cricket Bat, Guitar, cutlery etc the 'correct' way with no problems being I suppose virtually ambidextrous......(something most people would 'give their right arm for' perhaps...... :lol: )
I believe I am right in saying that the right side of the brain controls the left limbs and the left the right side. Presumably therefore in 'normal' folk, the left cerebal hemisphere is the one that has best spatial awareness and control?
So we 'Lefties' must all be in the 'Right frame of mind' then..... :wink:

Regards.

Bridon Bear. :wink:

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Well allegedly, the right cerebral hemisphere is more cloesly associated with creativeness.... so how many left handed modellers or artsists or one form o another do we have?

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

Ahhh....yes, I do have a keen interest in model building and flying as it happens, the R/C stuff....great fun.

I also used to draw a lot when I was younger, so maybe the pundits are right....who knows. :roll:

Regards.

Bridon Bear :wink:

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

jps
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by jps »

I am left handed but I play (almost) a right-handed guitar. I think the 'difficult' part of this art (holding chord shapes, fingering scales) is done with the left hand anyway, so I wonder why right handers choose to play the 'wrong' way round...

My pet hate is cheque books when you write on the stubs. :sad: When you have used half the book up I can't get my hand over the spine with all the previous stubs in the way. :doh: :dunno: I reckon they should be bound at the top so everyone is on a level playing field, as the say.

jps

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

To be honest I am a bit confused.........I write (terribly and unreadably) with my left hand but...........now this is where confusion sets in.........I never flew left hand seat as I had one hell of a job flying left handed (single yoke)........when I've played darts (on the odd occassions) I throw right handed.........when I stir coffee or tea that is done using the left hand.......when I used a firearm I was right handed with rifle but........ left handed with a pistol.........Confused?........you bet I am!!! :dunno:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Kimber
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kimber »

Brad and I are both Left Handed!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

When they do make a left handed thing, it cost twice as much!!