Real HS Trident question...

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Macs
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Macs »

DaveB wrote:Macs..

S111 = BAC Super One-Eleven :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
Ok. Cool. Thanks Dave.
Regards,
Macs :)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Macs wrote: What is the name if the weather radar used by the Trident? Just curious.
Macs,

I just can't remember...It is quite possible that I never knew :redface: ...It was...well...the "Weather Radar" or mostly just the "Radar".

Dave has answered about the Super One Eleven.

The Tridents never had Decca...in fact nothing changed in the Tridents the whole time I flew them. The flight deck was as David Maltby has drawn it and no changes were made.

Sadly, the S111 was modded after I left it and they removed the HARCO on "Expense" grounds. Very sad as it was a very wonderful piece of kit to operate and I felt that BA were cheating a bit to remove it...The S111 was introduced into service with Two pilots, as opposed to the Three on the Vanguard and Trident, on the grounds that HARCO would reduce the workload in the highly intensive "German Internals" operation, sufficiently for it to be operated with only Two pilots...Then after a few years they took away HARCO :roll:

Macs
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Macs »

petermcleland wrote:
Macs wrote: What is the name if the weather radar used by the Trident? Just curious.
Macs,

I just can't remember...It is quite possible that I never knew :redface: ...It was...well...the "Weather Radar" or mostly just the "Radar".

Dave has answered about the Super One Eleven.

The Tridents never had Decca...in fact nothing changed in the Tridents the whole time I flew them. The flight deck was as David Maltby has drawn it and no changes were made.

Sadly, the S111 was modded after I left it and they removed the HARCO on "Expense" grounds. Very sad as it was a very wonderful piece of kit to operate and I felt that BA were cheating a bit to remove it...The S111 was introduced into service with Two pilots, as opposed to the Three on the Vanguard and Trident, on the grounds that HARCO would reduce the workload in the highly intensive "German Internals" operation, sufficiently for it to be operated with only Two pilots...Then after a few years they took away HARCO :roll:
Very interesting, thanks again Peter. Just out of curiosity, how were diversions from routes (say weather) handled with HARCO? Could you use heading mode on the AP? Did you have a moving map display? counters? Sounds very interesting. I have been reading about DECCA and it sounds like LORAN C. I guess it was a true area navigation system... Just curious,
regards,
Macs :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Macs..

To save Peter's little grey cells from working harder than necessary, I have a Trident3 Ops manual here. The weather radar is/was an EKCO 290 and was fitted to many British aircraft of the era :wink:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Macs
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Macs »

DaveB wrote:Macs..

To save Peter's little grey cells from working harder than necessary, I have a Trident3 Ops manual here. The weather radar is/was an EKCO 290 and was fitted to many British aircraft of the era :wink:

ATB

Awesome Dave! Thanks for the info! You would not have any pictures of it in action would you? Maybe some scanned diagrams? The reason why I am asking is that I am trying to see if a talented gauge desinger (DM included :wink: ) could make one for FS. I have already made the inquiries to both DM and LC to see if this can be done. LC was asking for details on the radar so I am in the look for as much information as I can. Hope this matrializes! I really enjoy using the radar! as a navigation aid :smile: Like I said, I am only inquiring at this point, but let's hope it happens :smile:
regards,
Macs :smile:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Macs,

Sorry but I don't have any shots of it in action. It is basically a beam that scans 90deg backwards and forwards across the screen and can be used to display clouds or coastline information. I can scan the relevant section from the Tri3 manual if this would be of use :wink:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Macs
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Macs »

DaveB wrote:Hi Macs,

Sorry but I don't have any shots of it in action. It is basically a beam that scans 90deg backwards and forwards across the screen and can be used to display clouds or coastline information. I can scan the relevant section from the Tri3 manual if this would be of use :wink:

ATB

That would be great! :smile:
Thanks again Dave
regards,
Macs :smile: