Woburn Abbey Request

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

CometFlyer
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Woburn Abbey Request

Post by CometFlyer »

Hello everyone !

Being a huge fan of all aircraft wearing a "de Havilland" logo I am wondering if anyone out there has ever come across a scenery of Woburn Abbey in the UK. This is the venue for the annual gathering of the de Havilland Moth Club and not a "real" aerodrome. It's just the Park of Woburn Abbey, turned into a temporary airfield just for the occasion.

It would be nice to organize an annual Flightsim Fly-In to celebrate the many magnificent aircraft built by this company, both in the UK and in Canada (and in fact Australia as well...)

Regards to all

Helmut

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Sounds like a very nice idea... Might havea go at that if I can find some good photos of the place. Just need to persuade Dave G that he needs to make a DH.90 Dragonfly :lol:

I was earlier thinking that a fly-in to Hatfield would be nice, I am presently working on a much upgraded "version 2" of my scenery for it. :smile:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

You know...............

This could be the start of something big

Woburn would be something very different and very British and just the kind of thing that could get the DH pulses racing.

A great idea

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Garry's suggestion of a Wobrun to Hatfield (or vice versa) rally that he suggested over MSN appealed to me. Perhaps if I finish my new Hatfield and someone else were to model Woburn.....?

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

Sounds fun - my recollection of two past visits were that it was branded as a Tiger Moth Rally and I don't recall anything else of DH manufacture there.

I do remember that there was no airstrip as such, the aircraft just landed on a flat area of grass.

John

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

There looks to be a definite defined strip to the NW of the house now. Photos from the last few years show that other DH planes of the era such as the Dragonfly, other types of Moth and possibly even DH89s also attend.

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

Just 'Googled' and found this info http://www.dhmothclub.co.uk/woburn2002/BRIEFING.PDF

Informative file that may help as it gives elevation, co-ordinates etc plus a sketch map.....I agree Woburn would be nice especially when the AH Tiggie eventually appears.

Oh and yes...a Dragonfly from someone would be absolutely superb....not enough DH types around in FS in my book.....Plenty of types to choose from too....Let's see... :think:

There are plenty of Moths for a start.
DH60 Gipsy Moth
DH61 Giant Moth
DH71 Tiger Moth
DH75 Hawk Moth
DH80a Puss Moth
DH81 Swallow Moth
DH83 Fox Moth
DH85 Leopard Moth
DH87 Hornet Moth
DH94 Moth Minor

Can't think of any more apart from the venerable DH82a which has been done already... :wink:

Regards.

Bridon Bear :wink:

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

For what it's worth, the DH Moth Club (whose rally this is) does also allow Chipmunks to attend: my brother usually does an aerobatic display on G-BDDD, and there are usually three or four more there.

The participation is limited to DH aircraft, but this can and does include Doves and Herons - but they obviously don't land at Woburn, they just fly in to display. Naturally, the DH82 tends to be dominant in numbers, just because there are so many of them still flying, but there are also lots of DH60s, plus the DH89s and the Dragonfly, which are quite interesting to watch going in and out of that little strip. By the way, it's not really the length of r/w that's the problem at Woburn, it's the approaches and climb-out paths (big trees!), together with the variable slope.

Shuttleworth's DH51 often appears, too.

Woburn as an airfield actually goes back a long way - it predates Hatfield! The then Duchess of Bedford learned to fly in her 50's and participated in a number of long-range flights in the 1920's & 30's. She kept her various Moths at Woburn - that's the origin of the Moth Rally of today.

Kevin

CometFlyer
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by CometFlyer »

Thanks for the positive reactoin to my idea !

Now, that the JF/AH Tiger Moth has appeared - a nice bird btw - there is even more need for a nice rendition of Woburn Abbey airfield.
I would take the plunge myself but I have to admit that I heve no clue at all of scenery design.
Maybe there we could interest some expert.......

I totally agree, a rallye from Hatfield to Woburn Abbey would be THE deHavilland event on Flightsim.

Cheers

Helmut