Blair Force One

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Blair Force One

Post by Chris558 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5098126.stm
A spokesman for the Transport and General Workers Union, said it was "extraordinary that the prime minister should not be flying in a British-built plane".
Um....Hello??? :roll: Unless he means Airbus.

I suppose the the old '10 is too noisy for most Airports these days, or why not just keep an RAF Tristar rigged up in VIP config?

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

This is what I was thinking. Really this should be an RAF job. Fair enough that the PM and the Royal Family should share it - we fund both of them are unique amongst many countries in having political and ceremonial heads of state. It says a 70 seat long haul plane and a 15 seat short haul plane... Well there are long haul biz jets with few seats and short haul RJs with about 70 seats. 32Sqn already has 146-100 and 125-700, that I would have though should cover the short haul requirements to start with. And if I were PM, I'd be quiet happy making a nice noisy entrance in a VC10. British built, beautiful and bags of "presence" :wink:

andy

Post by andy »

I'd get 'em a bucket seat with Ryanair.................. :smile: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On yer bike Tony...............preferably a tandem with your pet gorilla. :-# :wink:

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

I assume, if this plan goes ahead, that they would get rid of the 146s with 32 sqn. But why bother? As it says, it's going to cost £2.7m more than it does now, so why not just get the bigger Jet and keep the 146s?

Better still, when the RAF buys its VC10-replacement Airbuses, just get one more, use that, and with the extra order, the MoD might get a better deal with Airbus. Everyone's a winner! (If Blair must have his hour of Presidency before he goes :roll: We won't get rid of him until then!)

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Blair Force One

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chris558 wrote:h.

I suppose the the old '10 is too noisy for most Airports these days, or why not just keep an RAF Tristar rigged up in VIP config?
I think Tonks or Tash may be able to vouch for the Tristar's busy-ness...

All I can say is that hopefully...

...it'll be in time for David Cameron... :lol:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Blair Force One

Post by TobyV »

Hot_Charlie wrote:All I can say is that hopefully...

...it'll be in time for David Cameron... :lol:
Hear hear!

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

In the newspaper, an "Aviation expert" declared that the 146's were out of date and unsafe to use!!! :lol:
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

britishtourer wrote:In the newspaper, an "Aviation expert" declared that the 146's were out of date and unsafe to use!!! :lol:
Well the lady in the Times claimed the old VC-10 took too long to climb to height and accelerate, and was too slow... She was a political correspondant though. Maybe the editor could have chosen someone with an inkling of what they were talking about to write the article..
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

The VC 10 is a nicer aircraft than what is going to replace it, be it boeing or airbus. I doubt they'd ever use a VC 10 though unfortunately.

I hope a couple of the 125's and 146's are preserved at the RAF museums when they get the new jets. I hope that when the faithful VC 10 is retired too they will be preserved.
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Blair used to use the VC10, although that became controversial aswell. Did it actually ever get fitted with beds?.............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/219511.stm