Reversing issue

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

Reversing issue

Post by tekman »

During all the development of my project I've had no problem with the issue of reversing the aircraft under it's own power. Reverse pitch prop etc but I have only been using a joypad to do this with. When tried with a joystick I can't get the aircraft to reverse. Am I missing something here as Ithere doesn't appear to be a key combo etc in FS control options.
Mind you, I daren't slam the brakes on while reversing the model as it falls on it's tail. C of G prob is most likely.
Does anyone know the answer to this please

tek :think:

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Hi Tek,

The default pushback setting in FS9 is SHIFT + P keys! then press again to stop matey! :wink:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

pushback

Post by tekman »

Thanks for that mate, that's not quite what I mean though :smile:
pushback is one thing and for most practical reasons probably the most advisable way to do things.
I like the fact that I can reverse my model but as stated in the previous post why can't this be achieved with a joystick.
tek

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Reverse

Post by dswanson »

Tek,

I can operate reverse thrust on my Saitek evo force stick :smile:

I assigned the F2 keystroke to a stick button using the joystick assignment option, making sure that the repeat slider is to the right.

On landing, I can close the throttle fully and press the stick button when the reverse thrust comes on until I move the throttle forward again. :smile: I can also reverse thrust at standstill.

Do you have a throttle on the stick ? One problem can be the throttle not closing properly which prevents the reverse thrust operating. If you have FSUIPC you can set the throttle close position a tad before the actual lever stop so when you close the lever fully there is no signal, solving the problem :smile:
Regards,

Degsy

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Similarly, with my bog standard joystick, I have the throttle axis calibrated such that it "believes" the idle position is somewhat forward of the stop position because theres a fair bit of noise (variation in signal) at the stop. Many real aircraft did (do?) not go into reverse simply bypulling the throttles back from the idle position but often by the actuation of a separate lever that operates the reverser buckets, so the idea of assigning a button seems sensible.

As to the behaviour of reverse thrust in FS, back in FS98, the default value for many aircraft was 25% of forward thrust which seemed to decelerate the aircraft a bit too quickly! In later versions, reverse thrust seems to have been toned down to the degree that it doesnt stop aircraft in time and that using reverse thrust when at a standstill doesnt seem to move the aircraft backwards (which I think it should actually be able to do?). AI still stop on a sixpence... often in very bizarre ways though :dunno:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Toby

All real aircraft that have reverse thrust will go backwards.

On FS200 some aircraft reversed but I have never had one do it in FS9

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Callum
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Callum »

Bucket reverser airframes which have high engines.. IL62, MD80 etc regularly use their own thrust to push back.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Also worth noting that the method of reverse thrust on that type of engine is different. High/rear mounted engines tend to be on older aircraft or out of necessity (weight distribution), smaller diameter, lower bypass ratio. Thus they mostly employ either a full external bucket reverser or an internal thrust reverser (which I think is aft of where the core and bypass flows reunite), as opposed to something like a 737Classic/737NG/747/757/767/A3XX which have high bypass ratio engines and consequently have only a "cold stream" reverser. So I might expect the reverse to be a bit more potent (and a good deal noisier!) on older aircraft. :think:

tekman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by tekman »

Do you have a throttle on the stick ?

Thanks for the replies, I've had a little crack at it but I never really had any call to utilise FSUIPC before and a little confused as to the adjustment of the right section. Looked in the joystick section and assume it would be under the reverser section. Got lots of numbers jumping all over the place which I assume is the sensitivity of the throttle setting.
Oh yep there is a throttle attached to the joystick. there is one section that states reversing just for jets, The aircraft i'm usinfg is a turbo prop so I suppose this would still apply or have I just got it wrong? I did get it to work via F2 but it is temperamental