Dragon Rapide

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

markyp
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Dragon Rapide

Post by markyp »

Hi there,

Does anyone please have specific aircraft performance data including fuel burn etc all the details for the Dragon Rapide please??

If so please let me know.

Thanks

Mark

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Mark..

Since flying her in the VA.. I've had to convert to KG (it's easier when tanking up). Work on 54-57kgh or round up to 60kgh and you'll be quids in. My normal alt is 1500ft.. only higher if I need to miss an obstruction!!

Max continuous is 2100rpm which will give you 57kgh and if you're lucky.. 106kts/121mph. The length of many of the runways the Rapide will visit means you'll need full throttle to get off the deck but you can easily climb at 2100rpm. She requires a resonably inordinate amount of nose down trim from takeoff to level flight but its not too bad once you get used to it. Likewise, the slightest drop of throttle will result in a rapid nose down unless you're swift on the trim. Wait until 90mph (not kts) before you use the flap/speedbrake and give yourself chance to trim for a gentle descent :wink: That's about all you need to know :wink: Round up to 60kgh which equates to around 106kts so that's about how far you'll get in an hour!!

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Dave

The reference I have here give a max cruising speed of 160 and a economical of 120 for the Rapide :think:

I don't really know what it should be, but the speeds you have talked about often.................arround 106 do seem a little slow. :smile:

So it's 106 knts rather than mph.

Garry
Last edited by Garry Russell on 06 Jul 2006, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

markyp
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by markyp »

Thanks for this.

Great info! Would there happen to be anymore?! Full performance data?

I only ask as I said we are trying to build a model for fsbuild to work out all these great things and fuel planning accurately!

I am also looking for the performance data for the Dove???

I have emailed the top guys that made the models but not heard anything yet ie Dragon Rapide and the Dove!

Thanks

Mark

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Mark..

All the relevant data for the Dove is included on the kneepad mate. If you look on the VA forum, you should be able to find further references to fuel consumption on a thread started by David Balmer. To get the most out of this little lady, you will have to use the pedestal to control rpm/boost :wink:

Garry/Mark..
Normal cruise speed for the Rapide is 100-130mph mate. The model was tweaked to give max constant smack in the middle of this.. +/- 121mph :wink: Max power (takeoff) is 2400rpm and should be limited to 5mins.. Max Climb is 2200rpm (though the Ops manual actually says 2400!!??) limited to 60mins and cruise/max continuous=2100 or less.
Speed limitations iaw the Ops Manual are
Never exceed speed/Vne.. 175mph
Normal Operating Limit/Vno.. 150mph
Manoeuvering speed/Va.. 173mph
Max Flap selection speed/Vfe.. 90mph

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Just shows how reliable some of these refernces are.

So then Dave...no need for a Machmeter!

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No Garry.. no need for a machmeter!! :lol: You could probably get away with not having an ASI either.. just a space on the panel to hang a calendar!! :lol: I remember last year.. maybe the year before while on the Baldock road on my way into Duxford, overtaking AKIF while she was on finals. I looked down at the speedo and saw 58mph!! :lol: :lol: Ok.. she had a slight headwind making her IAS higher but her actual groundspeed was a reasonable amount UNDER 58mph. Life in the fast lane!! :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

markyp
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by markyp »

Hi there,

Thanks for this

If you look on the VA forum, you should be able to find further references to fuel consumption on a thread started by David Balmer.

Any chance of a link pls?

To get the most out of this little lady, you will have to use the pedestal to control rpm/boost

At the moment that means nothing to me please explain?

Thanks for the great replies!!

Mark

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Mark..

This is the link for the Dove thread (albeit a short one.. thread that is!) http://www.cbfsim.org/cbfsimv5/cbfsbb/v ... php?t=6175

The pedestal is the throttle quadrant. Click on the 'Panels' icon on the main panel and select 'Pedestal'. This will bring up your throttle quad allowing you to alter the throttle and rpm settings with a mouse. No prob if you have a hardware throttle quad (CH or GoFlight) as you can do it through the hardware instead :wink: In the thread, I've listed both joystick fuelburn figures and those for using the pedestal but the actual boost/rpm settings are the same as those found in the kneepad.

EDIT... The Boost is the eqivalent to how much throttle (fuel) you are giving the engines and the RPM equates to prop pitch. I've not looked at the manual for donkies (I presume there is one) but a quick shufftie should dot a few I's and cross a few T's for you :wink:

ATB

ImageImage